𝟏𝟐, chapter twelve

"SO, WHAT NOW?" jj asked as the pogues, and violet, strolled towards the docks (earning strange looks from nearby kooks at the sight of the violet peterkin with the pogues). "are we going to the bahamas or what?"

the sting from pope's words the previous night hadn't yet worn off for violet, setting back the progress the two had made.

"there's no way we're getting to the bahamas!" pope complained.

"they're going to get nabbed sooner or later, so if we're gonna clear their names, we need to have done it yesterday." kiara chimed in.

"i'll tell you how we do it." jj linked his hands together and looked across his friends with an intelligent look (which was unfamiliar to his face).

"you have it all planned out?" violet asked, amused.

"as a matter of fact; i do." he left them in suspense for a moment before continuing. "we kidnap rafe."

"i'm sorry, what?"

"we kidnap him, put the gun in his mouth, and wait until he starts squawking." jj partially acted it out, causing a chuckle to leave violet's lips.

"you know torture's a war crime." kiara stated.

"i'm down for torture." violet raised her hand, to which jj grinned before carrying on his mime of torturing her ex-boyfriend.

"as much as i would love to torture rafe," pope started, "how exactly are you going to clear john b's name from a prison cell?" jj slumped down beside v, defeated. "all we need is a witness. we saw ward's plane fly over our heads. he didn't fly it."

the group conspired about how they were going to get a confession out of the pilot before kiara drove them to said pilots house. violet and jj moved to get out of the car, before being stopped by kie and pope.

"woah, no way." pope stated firmly.

"what? why?"

"you," he turned to jj, "have the gun." jj huffed but easily let pope win. "and you," the girl in the backseat of the car rolled her eyes at him. "had to deal with rafe."

"like you didn't? you're the one who had to fight him. i'm going in." kiara and jj shared a look, surprised at the difference in the girl's attitude since the day before.

"no, you're not." pope stated.

"yes, i am." she argued. violet went to open her door but found out she was unable to when pope immediately reached over kiara to switch the child-lock on. "oh, real mature, pope."

"i'm going in. i'll plant my phone in his car, and we can listen to him over kie's airpods. got it?" pope seemingly wasn't asking as he immediately got out of the car to complete his mission.

violet scoffed, and kiara and jj shared another look. "you seem chipper today!" jj said sarcastically before his friends both sent him a harsh glare.

"seriously, v, what's wrong?"

"nothing."

"are you worried about pope?" kiara teased, and jj's eyes widened.

"i knew it!" he shouted, being shushed by both girls. "i knew you had a thing for him."

"i don't have a thing for him, and i'm not worried about him." violet crossed her arms and looked out of the window angrily. "in fact, i don't have to listen to him. i'm going in."

she climbed out of the car through pope's door as the child-lock was still activated and jogged over to the pilot's car. pope was crouched behind a bush, looking nervous as usual. "you don't seem to be making much progress."