Keefe, with no trace of joking on his face, placed both hands on her cheeks, holding her face, making absolutely sure she held his gaze while he spoke. "I want to be with you," he told her, slowly and deliberately. "I've liked you from the moment we met. You think being different is a bad thing, but it's not. It's part of what draws us to you. Dex, and Fitz...and me too. But at least for me it's not just because you're different, it's because you're you. This brave, strong, beautiful, considerate girl sitting in front of me." He paused, removing his hands from her face. "I just want you," he added in a whisper.

Too many thoughts and emotions to name were swirling around in Sophie's brain.

"Why have you never told me?" Sophie finally asked.

"I've almost told you so many times," he admitted. "But sometimes I chickened out because I know how you feel about Fitz, and other times we were interrupted. And now you've started dating Fitz—" a spasm of pain crossed his face—"and I just want to be a good friend, to both of you. I didn't want to complicate things."

"But you...you hid it so well. I had no idea."

Keefe snorted. "That's because you're you."

"Oh...is that why you acted so weird when you told me you knew about Fitz and me?" Had he been...jealous?

"I'm sorry about that. I promised you that you would never lose me, no matter what happened, and then the moment you chose Fitz I nearly pushed you away."

Understanding was starting to dawn on Sophie at last.

When they'd been in Alluveterre and he'd told her he'd wait to go into Ravagog—he'd wait until dawn for her.

All the times he'd outright told her she was cute.

So many little hints, little clues. He hadn't just been teasing her. He'd been flirting. She just hadn't seen it for what it was.

And what now? What about her feelings?

She couldn't pretend they weren't conflicted.

Just as she was making connections and realizing all the times he'd been flirting—all the times he seemed like he was about to say something and change his mind—and at least one time where, looking back, she was certain he had been about to kiss her—she was also thinking of the way she reacted to them.

So. Many. Flutters.

She had avoided admitting that to herself, but Keefe made her fluttery just like Fitz did.

But what did that even mean?

Just yesterday, when she'd gone to see Keefe and his hair was all beachy and he looked so good...but it wasn't just that.

He'd been kind and understanding and...

Oh. Surprised and a little sad when he realized she'd chosen to register.

Because he knew she'd only done that for Fitz.

Ouch.

And yet...he'd still been kind. He'd still offered to help her find her genetic parents.

He was helping her be with Fitz even though he had feelings for her?

Somehow that just made Sophie more confused, as her heart swelled with affection for Keefe.

"Okay, see, the problem with being an empath is that I can read your emotions, but I can only guess at what thoughts are causing them. Usually I do a pretty good job because I know you really well, but right now...I really need to know what you're thinking." Keefe looked...miserable. Scared, vulnerable.

KOTLC Sokeefe One-Shots, Alternate Endings, etcजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें