Chapter 3.1: Self Study Commotion

Beginne am Anfang

Thirty minutes later – after a clean house and a brief flick through channels on TV – I was sitting in the lounge with my books sprawled across the table. I held my Geography text book near me, the bottom of it pressed against my chest as my free hand tapped a pencil on the colourful diagrams. The topics seemed somewhat interesting as it worked around plate tectonics. Volcanoes, rifts – it was quite enjoyable to me. But that pure moment of enjoyment was short lived when a pair of arms wrapped around me. My heart galloped. I didn’t check if the door was locked and now is the time I started regretting it. Wrapping my hands on the forearm of the assailant, I tried my best to loosen his grip but the sheer force couldn’t be matched by my weak brunt. I started to panic. My mind heightened in fear to the point that my body trembled. Please stop!

LET ME GO!” I shouted in full-on panic.

... and I was let go. Puzzled by this, I scurried across the room and turned ‘round to see Kain standing there. He burst out in laughter and held his stomach as it probably ached. I immediately dropped into a bad mood. I officially hate this guy. Balling my fists and replacing my fear filled face with non-chalance, I watched as Kain dropped to his knees with laughter. Behind him stood Jordan, who seemed as unamused by his show as I was. But her smirk disproved that thought. They’re the same.

“It’s a crime to trespass. Get out before I –“

“Before you what?” Kain spat back mid- laughter. “Throw me out? Good luck doing that!”

I cursed under my breath and turned, leaving the room and heading to the kitchen. I had no idea what the kitchen would help me with, but I just couldn’t stand being in the same room as them. Shortly, I’d wish I was facing them.

“Hey!” Kain called out. “Eden? I’m not done! That was a joke man!”

I rolled my eyes and turned around, wanting to retort to those words. Unfortunately, I was abruptly cut off with a body slam to the wall that winded me. Coughing for air as a hand gripped my shoulder and pinned me to the wall, I opened my eyes slightly to see Jordan standing in front of me. She had used her body weight to press me to the wall. Just as I was about to shove her out of my face, her brother came and patted her shoulder to let me go.

“Easy tiger,” he said to her while chuckling. “Well, I just wanted to find out if there’s any more news from Candice?”

I scowled at Jordan and spoke to her brother.

“The letter you got yesterday was all she asked me to communicate. You’re sister said she was collecting it on your behalf,” I said through gnashed teeth before looking at Kain.

He shrugged, “Yeah, I got that. Along with your message of ‘tell Kain not to be so lazy’. Well, to please you, I decided to drop by.”

I groaned and pushed past both of them. I wasn’t a mouse to corner and it irritated me when he did that. Heading back to the lounge, I sat on the couch and glared at both of them.

“State your business and quit harassing me,” I said, mimicking the venom Kain had in his threats.

Throwing his body onto the couch beside me, Kain made no reluctant move to respect my house. He just acted as if it were his home and no one else mattered. My mood worsened when his arm flung around me. Who the hell does he think he is?

“Well! I gotta go to our soccer boot camp for a week and I kinda won’t be around,” he informed me.

HALLE- FREAKING-LUJAH!

“But,” he added on, making me bend over in dismay, “Jordan will manage to give you my messages. You should keep up your part and there won’t be any problem.”

There really was no escape was there? He won’t even take a break. Looking at Jordan and thinking of the numerous meetings we may have, I over worked my brain to figure how to get out of this.

“I can give you her number!” I said ingeniously, “That way you both can personally keep in touch! No middle man!”

I freaking love technology!

“Nah,” he replied with a shrug. “Candice prefers letters. She says it’s valuable when a person takes time out to think on a person and write to them.”

I hate women’s preferences. Complicated creatures...

Giving up I nodded. I wanted to be alone today. And possible be alone for a long while. Kain was hindering my want and I tried to make it clear by my flippant behaviour. But I guess I wasn’t doing enough. Patting my thigh with his stone like feel, Kain smirked and leaned forward.

“I’m glad you comply so willingly. It’s nice to see some good people left isn’t it Jo?” he asked his sister, who gave him a nod in response.

I scoffed and got out of my seat, heading to the door and opening the door for them. It wasn’t a courteous manner that I did it in because once it was open, I pointed outside,

“I’d appreciate it if you could take your leave now. I need to study,” I informed them harshly, not taking any slack of an answer from either of them.

Kain got up to his feet and put his hands up to surrender; he nodded his compliance and led his sister out of my house. Before I could shut my door, I heard her comment. ‘Spineless wuss.’ I closed my door after that and sighed. I don’t care much for words. But when people become too familiar with me, I can get a little irritable. I guess I’ll be seeing more of Jordan than I initially intended to. Great...