Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw - home

pairing: Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw x fem!reader

plot: at a get together after the mission the dagger squad finds out some things about Rooster, causing Maverick to step up and try and help...

warnings: drinking, references to parental death and past trauma

words: 7k

originally published: 21th october 2022

It was a bittersweet evening at The Hard Deck but they tried to not let it show

It was a bittersweet evening at The Hard Deck but they tried to not let it show. After the successful mission it was time to dismantle their little ragtag group of pilots and for everybody to head back to their former assignments. Sadly Fritz had to fly out in the early afternoon but the rest of the pilots and backseaters had descended upon the bar and shuffled some tables around with Penny's permission to make a large circle where everybody found a place for at least the next few hours.

It felt good to be back on solid ground. While being in the air was one of the best feelings in Rooster's mind he was glad to be off the ship again. With the old jukebox playing music and the patrons of the bar talking and laughing together it was a little easier to forget about the events that happened just a few days prior.

"You guys are lucky," Harvard pointed out after everybody except Bob was a few drinks in, "at least you guys get a few weeks leave." The other aviators knew it wasn't coming from a place of malice, had they been in the place of the aviators that didn't fly the mission they'd probably think exactly the same way. Everybody craved the comfort of home while deployed.

"Yeah," Omaha added, "Leave would be nice. I wish I could head home, see family. My sister had a baby months ago, never even met the kid and he's already crawling."

"Maybe Mav can put in a nice word with the commander. Make it so everybody can go home faster." Rooster said after taking a drink of his beer, "Although with him there's always a chance we'd end up shipped out overseas for a few months."

A few nods and words of agreement greeted Maverick as he made his way back to the group after not so sneakily disappearing to the back of the bar with Penny earlier. At least he was smart enough to get a new beer so he could play it off as just getting another drink, even if none of the other aviators bought it. "What are we talking about?"

"Leave."

The older man just took his place among his now former students, looking around. "That's nice. What are everybody's plans?"

Most of the others just answered with the basics. Going to see family, spending some time with their loved ones. Hangman wanted to use his time for a vacation and Rooster didn't doubt that in a week there'd be pictures of Hangman's abs at a beautiful tropical beach all over social media. At least that gave him time to prepare a witty joke he could send in the groupchat to roast the blond.

Realizing he was the only one of the lucky ones that hadn't shared his plans, Rooster took another drink of his beer, finishing the bottle before putting it down on the table in front of him. "Don't know yet. Probably going to spend some time catching up with Mav and after that head home to see the missus."