28: post breakup shit

Start from the beginning

"That's what she wants, veal children," Lorelai informed her when the phone began ringing again. Both Cassie and Lorelai turned towards the phone, confused expressions on their face as they listened to Lorelai's voice say, "Hey, we're not in, so ah- Bashed my thumb! Leave a message."

"It's me again," Emily said.

"She's speaking to the machine again," Cassie's eyes widened.

"Don't forget that my DAR meeting is on Tuesday, Please..."

"It's burned into my brain. It's there forever," Lorelai replied even though she hadn't actually picked up the phone.

"...it's at three o'clock and all the women are all extremely punctual," Emily continued.

"When I'm senile and ga-ga and drooling into a cup, and I can't remember my name, I'll still remember that your DAR meeting is that Tuesday."

"This Tuesday. I'll talk to you about some other things later," Emily said before hanging up for a second time

"We're gonna have to have you be de-programmed by cult deprogrammers," Cassie laughed.

"Exactly," Lorelai nodded and just as she and Cassie were about to go upstairs the phone rang again. "Hey, we're not in, so- Ah. Bashed my thumb! Leave a message,"

"Your phone message is annoying..." Emily told her and Cassie began laughing uncontrollably.

"Unbelievable," Lorelai shook her head.

"Do you know how annoying it is?" Emily asked.

"I think I have a standard against which to measure it," Lorelai said, putting her hands on either side of her hips.

"Have you heard it lately?"

"I can't because I'm amputating my ears," Lorelai put her hands over her ears. She and Cassie began backing up, actually heading towards the stairs while Emily continued talking to the machine. "Ah, an earless world, what a dream!"

--☆--☆--☆--☆--☆--

All Cassie felt was stressed. About school, friends, boys, everything. Nothing seems to be simple right now.

She was currently walking down the hallways of Chilton with a large binder in her arms. Her eyes continued to flicker across the page as she prayed that she'd somehow be able to remember all the equations she had taken notes on. None of the words or numbers made sense to her, it was like trying to learn a new language.

Cassie was walking to the cafeteria, her stomach had been growling for the last ten minutes of class and she was desperate to eat something. But of course she also had to remember math and eat at the same time.

"Hey," Sophie smiled as she appeared at Cassie's side, "Ew, geometry."

"Not all of us can be math geniuses like you," Cassie told her, not looking up from the binder.

"Very true," Sophie nodded as they headed towards the cafeteria line.

"God, I'm so hungry," Cassie looked ahead where the food was, wishing she wasn't at the back of the cafeteria line.

Sophie looked at her best friend, wanting to have the conversation that they never finished on Friday night. Cassie was still staring at the food so Sophie knew she'd have to be the one to remind Cassie. "So... you wanna talk about it?"

"Nope," Cassie answered almost immediately.

"You told me that you'd think about it then we'd discuss on Monday. It's Monday," Sophie reminded her.