Chapter 1

After tying a scarf in your hair to stop even more hair from spreading around the house, you took the broom to start cleaning your house. 

Usually, that was your mother's job and you just helped her around the house, but her and your father had gone on a 2 weeks trip to celebrate their wedding anniversary, leaving you home alone with that responsibility.

They assured you that they were doing a good thing for you, because someday, you would meet a boy you were going to marry and you would have to learn to take care of your house and keep it always in order and tidy.

You lamented having so many things to do, but they were right, you had to learn if you didn't want to be handed back to them.

However, when you were about to start sweeping, the doorbell rang.

You walked to the door, smiling when you opened it and saw that it was your best friend Ivy, despite the fact that she arrived at a bad time.

"I'm so glad you're home right now." She sighed in relief as she pulled you into a hug.

"What happened?" You asked, imagining that some tragedy had happened. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine, don't worry." She assured you quickly. "But I need your help. And I mean, a lot."

She was your best friend since the two of you were just two little girls, so undoubtedly you would help her however you could.

"Of course, what do you need from me?" You asked, being solicited.

"So, I came here because the musicians haven't shown up at the bar yet." She began. "Mitzi said we urgently need someone who can play an instrument or sing and I told her I know someone."

You soon understood where she was going with that.

You would do anything for her but get involved with dangerous people, despite her saying that most of the people there weren't bad, despite doing things that were considered wrong.

Your parents couldn't even dream that Ivy was involved with those kinds of people, they would probably send you to boarding school in another state, or even another country, so you wouldn't have to have contact with her anymore, and you didn't want that.

"Oh, I don't think so, Ivy." You firmly denied it. "Sorry, you know I would do anything for you, except for this."

"Awww what's the matter?" She groaned impatiently. "I'm not asking you to participate in a robbery or a shooting, you just have to go up on stage at the bar, play and sing to entertain the clients, I know you can sing and play piano."

You briefly thought about the case, but your decision still hasn't changed.

You would even accept it, because you trusted her completely, but you didn't trust the other people who worked there at all.

"Even so, I feel like I can get involved in something one way or another." You argued. "And another thing, what do you think my parents are going to do when they find out I did this?"

"They won't find out about any of this, they're on a trip." She answered. "They don't need to know anything, come on, it's just for today, please."

She insisted so much that you ended up accepting it, not knowing exactly if you were making the right decision or not. She shouted happily and wrapped you in a tight hug, thanking you over and over again.

"Well, it's you who knows where this bar is, show me the way." You said.

"You really believe you're going to perform on stage dressed like that, right?" She asked, giving you a once-over.

"What's wrong with my clothes?" You asked, after taking a brief look at the dress you were wearing. You were wearing a kitchen apron over it, but you could take it off.

"Nothing wrong with them, they're just not quite suitable for the occasion." She said, resting her hands on your shoulders and guided you to your room. "But don't worry, let me take care of everything for you."

While you were taking a shower, she chose the clothes and accessories you were going to wear that night.

It was her prettiest party dress, a strong red like blood, accompanied by a shiny sheer lace scarf and short satin gloves, which was a little lighter red than the dress.

"Do you think they'll like my voice?" You asked, as you threw one of the scarf parts over your shoulder.

"As one of your audiences for most of our lives, I'm pretty sure they will." Ivy replied, as she grabbed one of the bottles of perfume from the top of your dresser and sprayed some on your scarf.

"Why do I have to dress up like a call girl to do that?" You questioned, for a moment doubting her true intentions about taking you with her to that place.

"There's no big reason, you need to look presentable to go on stage, that's all." She explained.

She took your hands in hers and looked at you again, looking dazed as if she was looking at you for the first time in her life.

"I think for the first time I know the difference between 'pretty' and 'beautiful'." She said with a smile.

"Oh, stop it." You looked away embarrassed by her compliment. "Well, now that I'm finally in character, shall we go?"

She giggled and interwined her arm with yours before you two walked outside your house.

You sighed, as she started the car and drove to the bar. What wouldn't you do for her? You just hoped you wouldn't regret that decision.