Episode 16 - Scopophobia

This time we were moving at a faster pace, as if they were afraid of the night or had something else to do, or that's what went through my head at the time.

Upon arriving at the central plaza, the guards backed away.

"Aren't you going to escort me to the underground warehouse?" I asked.

"Don't you know how to find your own way back?" One of the guards replied.

"I do, but I was just surprised." I said.

"You already know enough. Now go back on your own, citizen."

As they walked away, I decided to stay still and then follow them, hidden among the debris of the streets they took.

I heard the two guards talking.

"Didn't anyone teach him not to scream in a library?"

"He probably hasn't even seen one in his life."

"Look, about the other thing, I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I was trying to sympathize with him, as you asked me to do."

"I told you it was fine."

"I know, but I wanted to be serious, and then when you asked me to be nicer, I opened up too much to Broken Forever. I don't want to end up like that guard who gave him an identity instead of finishing him off when no one knew him."

"Now the king needs to know that he was right about his suspicions of Broken Forever."

"What else is he going to do besides talk badly behind our backs?"

"It could be problematic if he expresses himself too much, which is why we need to keep him close and under control."

"I don't know, all I saw was that he wanted us to escort him to the door of his workplace. He doesn't seem like a problem."

"I bet he just missed our attitude. It sounds weird, but he doesn't seem to be afraid of anything in his eyes."

I had heard enough. They seemed to be going to the place with that tower that almost touched the sky.

Was that why Sali looked over my shoulder? Were the guards watching me from inside instead of waiting at the door? Damn, that's why I felt observed.

At the same time, something approached me from behind, but fortunately instead of shouting, I swallowed air when I saw it was Abidemi.

"Mr. Broken, hey, Mr. Broken, Mr. Broken!" He said as he approached me with short steps, almost unable to lift his knees.

"Don't call me that."

"But aren't you 'Broken Forever'?"

"That's why, I'm not 'Mr. Broken'."

"Ah, okay, whatever your name is, they've been talking about you in the city. What did you do?"

"Nothing, they just invited me to the library."

"Ah, I see. The thing is, the guards asked about you. They came to me personally to ask what I know about you, and let's just say I don't want any problems. You know? But I wasn't the only one the guards were interrogating."

"I wouldn't know. I just got back."

"I told you to be careful, so that's all. But I remind you, in all my years, I've never seen the guard as productive as they are now."

"I'll be careful."

"That's what I wanted to hear. Now I have to go with my family. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Abidemi."

I went to the underground warehouse, many were already returning home, but I was more observed than before, if what Abidemi says is true, I don't know what rumors are spreading about me.

It's strange to attract more attention, I thought this new clothing pointed in the opposite direction, but if I'm honest, I don't know what the king wants from me anymore, he seems to contradict himself in his actions.

Now I feel that sensation of having a guard behind me, but when I turn around there's no one.

I suppose that's what the merciful wanted.

"Oh, you ba-ck, finaly. now, do, yo, wan to keep... wach?"

"I would like to, but I'm too tired, my legs can't take it anymore. I've been standing almost all day, and no one comes to this place anyway. Do you mind if we both sleep? If I hear anything, I'll wake up."

"W-well, okay."

My fatigue was such that even with Taleh's snoring, I slept like never before, not without first releasing some anxiety by jotting things down in my diary. After everything I saw today, as tired as I was, it was difficult to fall asleep.

But even having slept enough, that night was horrible.

Fragments of a Broken World: The Lost City [Complete]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें