Chapter 21 Part I

Începe de la început

Nine sat down on her hind legs. Her body slowly relaxing until she became almost too calm but alert to her surroundings. Absolutely nothing could sneak upon her nor distract her thoughts.

She was at total peace.

It was in that moment that Slade was able to finally connect with her.

'Nine?!' her mate's worried voice flittered through her mind – intermingling with her thoughts and intense feelings. 'Nine, where are you?!' he all but commanded.

Nine breathed in deeply. 'The arena.' She said back emotionlessly and stared blankly at the very place where Victor once sat to watch her.

'Stay right there! I will be there as soon as possible!' Slade ordered, lacing it with his Alpha voice. He was not taking the chance of Nine disappearing, especially with the possibility of Victor lurking around.

Instead of replying, Nine blocked him out and waited. The silence was peaceful to her and for once she finally thought about everything that had happened to her.

Too bad the beast didn't allow that for long.

Feels good to be back.

He spoke, his voice low and deep like a menacing rumble.

Mind if I cut in?

Nine sat there and dismissed the beast with indifference as he pushed forward until her left eye turned blood red but her right remained the same. At that moment both beast and human were in co-consciousness, together they both acted as one. Nine allowed him to control their body for the time being, knowing that there was no one in danger of being attacked but even so, she didn't allow herself to be fully pushed back into darkness.

The beast lifted their head and took a big sniff of the stifling air.

"Ah, love the smell of blood in the air." He chuckled darkly, "Though I do miss the smell of fresh blood even more. Don't suppose you want to go on a killing spree?" He asked, almost too nicely even though his voice held in his hunger for bloodlust.

Their lips curled into a snarl as Nine let out a low but warning growl.

"You're appearing an awful lot lately." She grumbled but she was calm. Anything that the beast does, did not surprise her anymore. All she could do was counter it in a calm manner. Just like in her fights, being caught off guard can get you killed.

"Really? I never noticed." He snickered making Nine notice how he was evolving. It was dangerous enough that he was a monster but to think he was learning from her experiences and becoming more intelligent and less savage. Nine had to inform her mate.

"Ah yes, the mate – how could I forget about that mutt." He spat, easily reading her thoughts.

Nine did not hold back her thundering growl that echoed in the empty warehouse.

"Don't. You. Dare." She snapped, picking up his malicious thoughts about Slade. Their body buzzed with deadly energy but Nine wasn't sure if it was coming from her or him.

"Alright, I'll leave him alone...for now." Said the beast and raised their head to look at the sky through the hole in the ceiling. "But remember, he will come for you and as much as I want to kill him – he and I have a similar...deadly passion."

The red cloud in her eye was slowly receding back.

"Soon, we will see who is the strongest and something tells me – I won't be having any real competition."Nine could feel his arrogance within her and held back a growl.