5

Darby

I take today to explore the ranch and see just what has changed since I was here last. Other than the cabins dotted around, they've now got a spa and newer activities. The restaurant has been updated since I was here last, but still holds its charm. There's a wider range of activities too that span from fly fishing, games in the rec hall, to ones for the kids who come here. This place even has a petting zoo and playground so it's not just for adults.

Even of an evening there's dancing, a live band that are local, the hay ride to Vormir point and even an art class that includes dinner. The most art that I can do is drawing stick men, so I think I'll skip that one.

So much has changed and yet it feels like it hasn't. The beauty of it will always stay though, rocky mountains, the pines that surround it. There is so much nature, even of a night you can hear the yip of coyotes and catch glimpses of nighthawks.

It's a home from home.

I decide to just relax on the porch of my cabin after lunch, booking some activities on the website including the spa. I'm having an early mid-life crisis after all, so I need some relaxation.

"Ah! Darby, I didn't think you'd be here". Sarah now is coming down the path with a hamper in her hands. "Forgot to leave a welcome pack in here yesterday, so I decided to make you a special one, don't tell the guests, this stuff in here is better". She smirks as I get up and take it from her, seeing a lot of home-made goodies in there.

"Did you make these?" I ask

She nods. "I got too much time on my hands these days. I help out on the ranch but over the years I've slowly taken a step back to more of the administrative side". Her hands rest on her hips as she now looks around at the rocky mountains that the ranch is nestled amongst. "Couldn't think of anywhere better to retire though".

"Steve was lucky to have grow up in this setting". I say, "It's beautiful".

"Joe too, this place has been in the family for centuries. Started out as a stage coach stop and then went onto turn into this. We've tried to keep the old charm about the place though. You may have noticed that some of the old coaches and furnishings in the cabins are from way back".

I smirk. "Well I give the decor a ten, you're lucky I'm not pulling you up for things that could be changed or updated".

Sarah grins. "Oh god, don't tell me you're a designer?"

"'fraid so, I stage homes for a living mainly".

She groans. "and yet you're still giving us a ten? Now you're just being nice".

"Only small tweaks, but other than that? I love that you've maintained and incorporated the ranches history into everything and now just decided to go fully modern. A place like this needs to be kept preserved without falling behind".

Sarah looks at me and then speaks. "We have an old barn we've got permission to turn into a place for wedding ceremonies...at least we're hoping to - Steve hasn't quite decided on it yet, but to have your input? A vision? Perhaps it could sway him?"

"Why's he undecided?"

She sighs. "Between you and me? He thinks it'll only spurn Sharon on to get married. He's not really thought about it, but we're all on at him to ask her. They've been together years, at first it was on and off but then it straightened itself out. Sometimes I wonder whether it's not what he wants though. The ranch is his life, especially after Joe died and all but left the responsibility to him - but he needs a life to set apart from his work".

She cares so much about him, I know she can tell that perhaps his heart isn't focused on settling down. "You know Steve better than anyone, I think you can tell what he wants".