Part One: Contact(Alliance)

Start from the beginning

Over a kilometer away, the invaders prepared. The various soldiers, having spent the afternoon marching and hauling the heavy artillery, were setting up camp for the night, as well as rudimentary trenches and stakes.

Far East Command, 350 Kilometers Away
0500 Hours, March 22nd

The Far East Strategic Airbase was host to over 300 aircraft, mainly the MiGs and Su ground attack aircraft. The early dawn has not broke the horizon yet, but the Red Air Force wasn't going to wait until dawn to begin sending aircraft into the air.

Nearby, the Far East Corps was already moving out. Over 500 T-55s, 1,000 BMPS, and over 50,000 troops were mounting up and moving along the main roads to the east. They were supported on the ground by mobile mortar teams and Self-Propelled Guns, with CAS expected to assist in direct fire if either options were not available.

The skies over The Serbian Shield
0735 Hours

The skies were clear over the fortress, weather wise. The wind blew softly, to be inconsequential to air operations, and only a minor nuisance in long ranged gunnery. but the presence of an Airship, something that is straight out of Science-Fiction to the Estarians, was a center of attention. Swarming around it was 50 gyrocopters, the only mechanican aircraft that could reliably be recovered and launched from said gunship at the time. They were armed with unguided rockets and had rudimentary machine guns for engagements.

On the ground, the siege engines and artillery were advancing with infantry screening. On the flanks of the 3rd Legion were the Heavy Cavalry, which had no real use in  fortress assaults, but instead were sorted for scouting for incoming reinforcements.

The battle came in earnest as the cannons of the fortress opened up, giving the first defiance in terms of resistance to the invasion. Before long, as the invaders got closer, the marksmen opened up, taking some of the infantry out of the fight. But the threat of the Gyrocopters and the Gunship made themselves apparent as the gunship fired upon the fortress in general as her air compliment made surgical strikes, destroying what little artillery scrounged up by the garrison in quick order.

The Alliance artillery began firing towards the fortress as the siege engines began to suppress the Estarians in their trenches. The charge of the infantry turned it into the trenches, forcing a melee, which the Legion had the advantage. With the combined arms of the assault, the conscripts continued fighting for a few hours, first being pushed back out of their own trenches, onto the battlements, to the main castle.

"We hold to the last man for the Motherland! Make these invaders pay for the defilement of our lands!" An NCO spoke openly, with the remaining conscripts yelled out an 'URA' before they charged forward, firing away in the general direction of the outside.

The last charge of the 99th, albeit valorous, though foolish, caused the last remnants of the unit to be slaughtered by the 3rd Legion. The shock of the sudden resistance and overall resilience to the end in defense, despite being outnumbered 10 to 1 and by all measures outgunned and matched.

By 1230 hours, the Lion was flying above the keep, instead of the Red Bear. And the interior areas not destroyed by the fighting were used to treat the wounded. The dead, on the other hand, were essentially dumped into the trenches that were made by the defenders before the slow process of burying them began.

75 Kilometers East of the Serbian Shield
1400 Hours

The leading elements of the Corps slowly came to a stop as they received the reports of the fortress's capture. With the revelation of the fall, the Corps began to move off the roads and assemble a broad front. The general strategy was to steamroll the invader into the sea, and then  ready up for a potential counter-invasion, at least when they find where the invaders came from, barring negotiations that put off such plans indefinitely.

In the air, the first wing of MiGs arrived on station, having been kept back to provide air cover for the elongating supply lines, and now given the go-ahead to begin offensive operations.

In the  skies over the fallen fortress, four MiG-19s arrived on station before banking over to engaged a group of Gyrocopters that strayed away from the pack. While fast and having the energy and element of surprise, only one of the Gyrocopters were downed as the MiGs overshot and missed most of their targets.

This, in turn, alerted the Alliance of enemy aircraft in the area, or at least in strike distance of their forward forces. But indirectly informed the Alliance that enemy forces were most likely nearby, or otherwise why would the enemy try to contest the air.

With the first probe of the MiGs leaving the area, the Red Air Force learned that they had a technological edge, but perhaps too big of an advantage. The speed advantage only ended up giving the pilots a very short window to accurately land their shots.

The Su-7s, on the other hand, having the Gyrocopters been distracted by the attacked of the MiGs, were open to hit their targets. A total of fourteen Su-7s initiated runs upon the Legion's war machines, seeing them as both easy targets, but also necessary. With the run, eleven siege tanks were knocked out or destroyed, and the Alliance were forced to halt their advance to secure the air above them with the help of the Gyrocopters.

Ten more Su-7s soon entered the airspace without escort before moving to start their runs. Without escort, and being slower than the MiGs on their runs, three Su-7s were shot down by Gyrocopters, but two Su-7s hit two artillery batteries, knocking them out for a few hours.

With the final sortie, the Estarian Air Force focused on flying above the army as they planned an overwhelming attack on the Alliance Air Force.

Casualties(Alliance):
4,568 Troops
11 Siege Tanks
2 Artillery Pieces
1 Gyrocopter

Casualties(Estaria):
5,012 Troops
3 CAS Su-7s
12 Artillery Pieces

The First contact with the Alliance is cold to say the least. Now the reason why I have presented the numbers as such for the alliance is as follows:

1. Give the Alliance a fighting chance
2. It is implied that Azeroth is much bigger than what is represented by World of Warcraft, so badum.
3. The Horde will get the same treatment
4. The Technology levels are varying in the Alliance, with gunships and early aircraft, though main infantry are heavily armored soldiers along with mechanized units, so there you go.

Anywho, have fun and enjoy!