To Live and Regret

A/N

This year (and the next) are proving to be the busiest years of my life. As much as I love writing, it's something that is simply time consuming unfortunately.

I have a tradition for writing oneshots on friends' birthdays. Because this year is so busy and chaotic, it's hard to do it most of the time (especially during this period). So, the least I can do is dedicate this chapter to my good friend kayla_gummy_bear, as well as encourage you once again to check out her AMAZING works. She's one of the OGs here. Happy birthday girl <3.

Enjoy <3

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Riding through the empty roads on the way back helps to clear my mind. I still can't shake the fact that Jay spilled his entire trauma in a matter of minutes, then just went back to his regular old self. The entire noon, he was gushing about Edna's food, admiring all my little inventions, even making little jokes here and there as if he were in the conversation himself. In hindsight, he really fit in with the Walkers. They would adore him if they could see him. Alas, they can't.

I get down and take off my helmet, grabbing my backpack from the back. The plushie's head is poking out slightly, and I quickly shove it back inside.

It's like Jay's seeing an entire new world in front of him. He stares at the sign 'Doomsday Comix' with stars in his eyes.

"Do you think they have Starfarer comics here?" Jay asks me.

"They have everything," I say. "I thought you'd like it. They renovated it a few months ago so it now has a lot of arcade games and stuff."

"You're the best," he tells me with a smile that makes me warm. He heads inside immediately, floating through the glass door. I follow quickly, trying to forget about the compliment.

As bored as I am looking through the same comics over and over again, a strange feeling doesn't seize to exist within me. As much as I don't want to admit it... Jay's been the first friend I've had in a long time. I've missed just... hanging out with someone. I like hearing him talk, even if it can get overwhelming sometimes.

We pass by all the arcade machines, and Jay marvels at each one. I make sure to grab one that's not clearly visible to the other guests and pop a coin in, letting him play a little.

"Prime Empire is amazing," he exclaims, merely impressed by his character walking around the screen. "Are those real people?"

"They're other players, yes," I say. I take a glimpse at his character and smile. "Cute avatar."

"Thank you," he says shyly. "I like blue."

His character's skin is blue, as well as his clothes. Along with holding an electric guitar, he's also wearing a rock star sort of outfit, even having a blue, low cut shirt with stars. I think it suits him (and if I'm being honest, it would look good on my real Jay as well).

"I can tell."

"Do you like blue?"

"It's my favourite colour," I confess. It's not something I've ever really thought about, but after spending time with him... I guess his own blue eyes had an effect on me. I smile thinking about it.

"That's good to know..."

I hear footsteps approaching and Jay stops touching the arcade, floating by my side.