Have a breathtaking visit at Silahis Center

Bored in your home? Looking for a place to travel or spent vacation with? Beaches and resorts maybe on the top of most people's bucket list. Fact is, there's more in getting tan and exposing your curves this coming summer. Why not satisfy your wanderlust and foot itching in visiting places that you have never seen before? Just like a place that will surely relax your eyes and minds after a stressful day of work and school activities these past few weeks? Well, definitely stepping to art galleries and museums is a suitable place for you! And one of the perfect spots is the Silahis Center in Intramuros, Manila. Wait a minute, Silahis?! Yes, you got it right! It might sound funny and weird but this souvenir shop with a museum-like ambience is really a must visit and is really unique as its name.

Silahis Arts and Artifacts was established in 1966. Since then it has been engaged in exporting, designing and producing various handmade Philippine products. Silahis center is located in a classical three-storey bahay na bato along General Luna Street. As soon as you enter through its doors, you'll be immediately greeted by tons of colorful ornaments and designs. Its wooden floors will transport you to the ancient Filipino times; the era during the period of our ninunos.

Silahis center offers an array of handmade Philippine products which showcases the diversity and richness of heritage in the country. Visitors and tourists can see various traditional crafts, arts and painting and accessories in the store. The center has four sections or departments:

Silahis Arts and Artifacts

- displays cultural artifacts, fine crafts and folk art

Chang Rong Antique Gallery

- features oriental ceramics, maps, textiles and primitive art

Tradewind Books

- showcases old and new cultural publications on Asia and the Pacific

Galeria De Las Islas

- exhibits fine art, prints and sculpture

Silahis center also offers indigenous fabrics, maps and other reading materials which are perfect for those history buffs. Silahis center is also not just for tourists, but also for locals who are into homegrown décor.

What to Bring?

In order for your visit in Silahis Center will be complete; do not forget this travel essentials and buddies:

Money

Take note that Silahis center is not just shop which displays its artworks but it also sells those crafts and items. Prices range from Php 100 and up. Some items are very pricey depending on the materials that are used. Some paintings by local artists range from Php 2,000- Php 10,000. Do not forget to bring extra money in case you might find an artwork that you want to buy as a souvenir, a gift or as a home décor.

Camera

Visiting Silahis center is just like having your very own educational field trip. Bring a camera to take some snaps with your friends while inside the shop. Some items sold in Silahis are very rare so if you don't have enough money to buy it, just strike a smiley pose with it. Of course, don't forget to use a promotional hashtag in Twitter, Facebook or Instagram when you post it.

Small Notebook

You will learn a lot of new things while inside the shop. You'll discover some interesting facts and trivia about the country's history and rich culture. You'll also have the chance to know some local artists. If you wanted to know them more, you can pen it down on your small notebook and search them on internet when you get home.

Having a major throwback at Silahis Center will surely be a worthwhile and fruitful experience for you, your friends and your family. You will not just enjoy, you'll also have the chance to tour around the country for free-discovering its mysterious beauty and rich heritage.

Silahis Arts and Artifacts is located at 744 General Luna Street, Intramuros, Manila.