Contrition

"And next in our crazy family line is your aunt Buttercup! Your very old aunt who's been single for thousands of decades and instead of settling blames it on her job as a police officer." Bubbles exclaimed to her daughter Brisa. Murky blue eyes glanced at her ravenette aunt sat on one of the sun chairs in the ridiculously fancy resort they were visiting. Brisa noticed that throughout the whole conversation, Buttercup was absentmindedly playing with one of her piercings, fully uninterested. 

"Y'know, I even tell her to move on, get a house get a boyfriend or even go get a best friend but nahhh, let her be lonely-

"Bubs. Stop it." Her raspy voice of her aunt's spoke. Limes had snapped out of their daydream and pierced into her mother's blue eyes.

The sugar puff didn't care. "You should get a boyfriend already or at least someone. You're in your late 30's!" 

"Mom. Stop." The 17 year old hissed tugging her mother's arm. She couldn't precisely pinpoint it, nor put a finger upon it, but somewhere behind her mother's words had done something to the ravenette. There was more to the surface of the vivid viridians than it seems. More behind them.

"Right, bye guys I'mma hit the hay. It's... been a long day." Buttercup left as quickly as possible, wanting to avoid any further conversations.

As soon as Brisa managed to leave Bubbles's presence, she left to go to her aunt's hotel room. Quietly slipping in, she noticed her sat in a cocoon chair. Her knees cradled to her chest while tired, sunken and exhausted lime eyes stared at the scenery. Doubt she was taking it in. Lips pressed against a wine glass. Has she always been that pretty? Black midnight locks spilled down her shoulders in gentle waves, framing her face. The blonde girl has never seen her aunt's hair down. It was always tied. It almost took her back into her 20's. Regardless of her age, Buttercup has always maintained her coolest aunt title. Still is. The most chill and funniest relative you'd get. Carefree. Light. Joyous. 

"Hey aunty BC, I'm sorry for what my mom said. She speaks a lot." Brisa took a seat on the still perfectly made bed. Viridescent eyes pulled over to look at her. 

"Don't be kiddo, she's right anyways." There was a hint of sadness Brisa could her in her aunt's voice.

"She shouldn't say something like that to you..."

"Guess she can, she's my sister."

"Still, there's nothing wrong in being single forever."

Silence. Then a slump of her shoulders. Eyes wandered back to the window. "Y'know... I haven't always been single."

Brisa listened. That's information she didn't know. "Haven't you? Since I was born?.." 

Hesitantly, "No... he... it ended when you were about 4 years old..."

"I-f you don't mind me asking.. what was he like?" The niece wondered whether that was a safe question to trot on. It was safe territory as she watched Buttercup's soften at the sound of him. 

Her face rose into an actual smile rather than her usual scowls. "Strikingly handsome and unbearably sexy." A gentle laugh flowed out with a bite of her cheek. She was nervous, but in a giddy way. Then she clamped a hand over her mouth. "Oops, sorry bad words."

"Auntie, come on! I'm 17 and sexy isn't even a bad word!"

"And I'm only 38" With a roll of her eyes. 

The niece let out a whistle. "Damn aunty Buttercup! You don't look a day over 21!" 

"Oh please, flattery will get you no where." There was a smile on the toughest fighter's face nonetheless.