Once she was convinced mother was cared for, she was ready to go on the hunt for anyone to tell them what was going on.

She walked out and towards the king's quarters to begin searching for Ronald. Or maybe Henry who could tell her the whereabouts of the king.

And her suspicions turned out to be wrong, he didn't leave. Instead she found him in his old room that he used to sleep in.

The door stood ajar. She caught a glimpse of him. There he was, sitting on the chaise at the foot of the bed. Staring out of the window with a faraway look. In his hand, dangling, was a sword that swung to and fro. Aimlessly.

Bethany was partly relieved, partly concerned when she found him.

She didn't want to interrupt him, deep in thought, so she walked in without opening it further. Silently making her way to him, she sat down in a chair to his right. Staying out of his sight.

He must've sensed her presence for he turned towards her. Their eyes met, and then his eyes flooded with life once more. He swiveled around to face her completely, dropping his sword on the floor. "Your home!" Then he realized and it clicked. "Your home. Forgive me, no one helped you. Oh how foolish of me." He went to embrace her and then he guided her to sit next to him.

She waved off his comment. "I'm a very capable lady. I can carry my own pouch. Though I am most intrigued, where did everyone go? I feel as though most of the castle is deserted." She asked, puzzled. It was at this time she noted the king's appearance. His hair was in disarray, his beard grew out just a bit. A rough look for sure.

"Oh no." He ran a hand through his disheveled hair, and straightened up his attire. Bethany knew he noticed her assessment of him, and she averted her gaze. Though she found him utterly charming this way. "I sent them home to have a break. Not all, but most." Bethany's head shot up. He did what?

He sent almost all of the staff home. "How come?" She asked, still reeling from what she heard. The whole entire castle, running on a few servants. That was unheard of.

"When you left I simply decided I shall send them home for a break. Give them the break they long deserved."

Bethany was warmed by his compassion for those who served under him. He thought of them and their needs. "That is considerate of you."

"It is nothing. That is the least I could do for them."

Overcome by emotion, she wrapped her arms around him. She couldn't be more proud of him. Though he brushed it off as if it were nothing, but for her, it was everything. "Do you know how much this means to them?" She said into his hair. They stayed that way for a moment.

He put some space in between them so he could see her. "I missed you. I was thinking about you." Even though he was delighted at her presence, Bethany sensed an undercurrent.

Leaning on his shoulder, she asked, "What are you doing here? Sitting in your old room?" She suspected it might be his father's passing, that brought about the dark cloud that hovered.

He gave her a small smile, trying to appease the worries that shone in her eyes. "I wanted to escape Henry for a couple of hours. He stayed back, refusing to leave. Said I had many duties left for today. I needed to escape, to think."

Ronald looked away, staring out the window. The thoughts were churning. "Oh, I also took the liberty of inviting the best planners for our nuptials." He continued.

"Thank you. I was wondering how to go about that. Have we picked a date yet?"

"Well, let's plan that later." Bethany frowned. What has changed between the day he asked her to marry him, and now?

He returned his gaze back on her. "Bethany," Ronald let his shoulders drop. "I have to admit something. When you were gone, there was a meeting by the house of the lords. It was about our betrothal. There was an equal part uprising and equal part support on your behalf. Though I'm afraid that the uprising can produce far more damage."

The news made her breath catch in her throat. It made sense now why he wasn't in a rush to plan. There was more uncertainty. She tuned out, her mind whirling. It was just as she feared. They would continue chasing them down until she was out of the courts.

He continued talking about how they were severely displeased at the nuptials between Ronald and Bethany, his eyes wore the battle that was etched in his heart. Between his duty to his people, and the love for her. It broke Bethany's heart.

"I told them that I will not have it." He was saying, "I would abdicate before giving into the whims of people who sit in high and mighty places, putting their noses down at you." He said with firm conviction.

"What of my title?" She asked, sitting tall now. "Would that make a difference to them? They can't do much of anything to you, can they?"

"I told them." When he didn't offer her any assurance, it was clear that they didn't care. "Listen to me Bethany, I won't let them separate us." Ronald held her face in between both his hands. The warmth from his hands eased the sorrow that was gripping her heart.

"Ronald, promise me you will never leave. You are what this kingdom needs. You know as well as I who will take the throne if you abdicate your position on the throne."

There was a beat of silence as he pondered her words. "So what are you saying?"

"Nothing for now. But in all of this, you must stay. Even your mother speaks of this truth. She would be devastated if you left. Promise me Ronald you will never give up on them. Those who need you, people like me, like Melissa, like my mother. Who's very lives are crushed if another is on the throne."

His shoulders eased. "Of course. I'm sorry for even considering. We will fight this. Together." He promised her.

Weary from the journey, she decided to let the conversation go. "I will retire now to the drawing room, would you like to accompany me?" If it weren't snowing outside, she would've loved a nice stroll bout the courtyard.

"I fear I will not, forgive me, I must seek out Henry. Unfortunately the pressing matter with barons feuding over land, can no longer be avoided for today. I will be preoccupied until probably late evening." He said this with a sigh.

"Well, I hope to see you sometime tomorrow then." Ronald arose from the chaise and extended out a helping hand. Bethany allowed him to assist her, then she wrapped her arms about his neck.

The emotions shifted, and a spark of desire flickered in his eyes. He leaned in and kissed her, as he allowed his arms to tighten around her waist in fierce protectiveness.

When he broke away, he brushed her hair, and caressed her cheeks. "I love you Bethany." He said, his voice deep like the sea, husky with emotion.

A lump formed in her throat, though she wouldn't let it stop her. "I love you more, Ron."

He brushed a wispy strand of red auburn hair. "I will try to wrap things up as quickly as possible, so we can meet for dinner." He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, and stepped to the side. Disappearing behind her.

She still felt the warmth of his kiss lingering. Her heart felt the emptiness of the room that was earlier filled with his presence. Though her heart was heavy from the news, it sprung up with joy. For she knew the depth of his love for her. And it was enough to strengthen her against those who war to keep them apart.

Beyond the King's Gateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें