19- you lose

sorry if this chapter seems rushed or not interesting, i feel like i'm losing brain power as the days go by but i've had this chapter planned for a while so i hope you still enjoy!!

buckle up ;)

------

Sara dragged us both into the nearest diner where we stood before. I was still in too much shock to barely move, it felt like I blacked out and somehow ended up in a different place. Why the hell is Sara in L.A? And why did she have to run into me while with Joseph?

Joseph sits stiff as a board beside me. He doesn't sit as close as he usually does, there is at least a few inches between us that the antique box I got separates us perfectly.

I can tell Sara senses something is wrong with how stiff she is too. The waitress already took our drink orders and I can't even remember if I said anything to her. My eyes fall heavy as I try to collect myself for whatever the hell is about to go down.

"So.." Sara pushes awkwardly. My attempt at breathing steadily was shut down when her voice became real again.

I heard Joseph suck his teeth tightly with his tongue, clearly not happy with the situation we are in. I told him I didn't have any siblings, but here is my sister sitting right in front of us. It felt like my eyes were glued shut until the sound of the waitress placing our glasses in front of us alerts me.

I look Sara in the eyes for the first time up close. She has a wide stare that's saying more than enough. I don't know if she's trying to make things worse or if she's truly confused as to what's going on.

"Eden never told me where you guys grew up?" Joseph finally speaks with confidence. I jerk my head in his direction and his elbows are leaning onto the table, staring at only Sara. She gulps nervously and fidgets with her fingers. I did tell him, but he's trying to just catch me in more lies.

"Ohio, our parents and I still live together." She responds almost like she's embarrassed.

Joseph hums and taps his chin in thought. He points a finger at Sara and proceeds with more questions.

"When was the last time you guys saw each other? Seems like it's been a while."

My eyes are shut again. Everything is ruined. Jo was right, goddamn it he was right.

"Not too long ago.." She trails off into silence as the waitress comes back to the table.

"Are we ready to order some foo-?"

"My apologies for interrupting, but Sara, is your family close?" He rudely stops the waitress mid-sentence and pays all of his attention to Sara.

The waitress forms her lips into a thin line and walks away to tend to another table. I physically smack my palm against my forehead with sheer embarrassment of how he's acting right now. Joseph has never been the rude type, but I completely understand his sudden change in manners in this moment. I cant bare to look at Sara while she answers this question.

"Um, I guess not how normal families are but we still-"

Joseph suddenly pounds his hands on the table, causing Sara and I to both jolt in our seats. He stands up with his hands still placed on the table and he finally makes eye contact with me. The tears now begin to form seeing how disappointed and hurt he looks right now, but most importantly angry.

"It was nice meeting you, Sara. Your sister is a real... interesting person." He jerks his hands away from the table and heads toward the door.

I glance at Sara for just a flick of a second, seeing the confusion all come to her at once. I'm surprised to see she's not amused by all of this. For once, she actually seems to have sympathy towards me even though she has no idea what just happened.