carnivals and hercules

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

°•. ┊ Wildest Dreams ┊.•°
✧ ˚ ━ burning red, act one

CHAPTER EIGHT — carnivals and hercules

As we begin to approach the office door, my movements halt. "You know, in all the years of her life, never have I thought about how the hell to explain this to her." I look at him. "I've imagined telling you a million times, but not once have I pictured what to say when she asks. She's asked about her dad before, but I've always been able to say that he does the same job as Uncle Rooster, so he's always out of town. And she never questioned it..."

"Hey, come here." He takes my hand in his and pulls me closer, placing his hands on my shoulders and looking into my eyes. "We don't have to do this right now. It can wait. I don't want to push you into something that you aren't ready for."

"I'm ready. And she deserves to know." I take a deep breath, before releasing it. I drop his hand and open the door, walking in to find Maya and Warlock playing tic tac toe. He looks up at the two of us and excuses himself from the room. I sit in the chair and Jake moves to stand awkwardly behind me. "Hey, Pumpkin."

"Look." She holds up a piece of paper with a drawing of three people. I'm not entirely sure what it's of, but I can make out that there's three stick-like figures. "It's me, Lilypop, and you." Her smile is wide, causing one to break out on my face.

"It's very nice. You should give it to Lily, so she can put it on her fridge." I suggest, knowing that I can't fit anything else on mine. "Kid, can we talk? So, you know how at mommy's work the other night, you met this guy standing behind me?" She gives me an excited nod, as she looks between the two of us. "Well, he's your dad. And you can do with that information what you wish." Maya stares at me for a moment, before climbing into my lap and standing on my legs, as she reaches for the man.

"Hi." She smiles up at him and he scoops her into his arms. "Do you like Taylor Swift?" I spin the chair around and release a laugh at her question. She meets her father and that's the first question she asks...I'd say I've done my job right. Jake shares a slight look of panic with me and I raise my brows at him. Oh, I know he is not about to question that. He can deny it all he wants, but I've heard him singing 'We Are Never Getting Back Together' in the shower so loudly. And I won't hesitate to call him out on it, if anything other than 'yes' comes out of his mouth right now.

"Oh, yeah. She's the best." He answers, truthfully. And as I watch the pair, my heart feels full. I begin to think about the last time I ever felt this beautifully content with life.