Historical Gothic Romance Contest

A swath of saturated cotton was draped across the late October sky. Save a few light leaks, it left the streets of Gloucester, Massachusetts a dismal shade of depression, but Clara Fears was all smiles and sunshine. Her husband, William, master of the Levi Woodbury, was due to return after a long journey at sea.

Anticipation coursed through the air of their large New England colonial home. Servants old and new alike felt the shift that came every year around this time.

Clara ran delicate hands over the golden, pearl-tipped pins which held back her midnight tresses in a pristine coiffure. A grey dress, even with delicate lace accents would seem drab on others, but upon Clara, it gave a demure appearance that only added to her uncanny charm.

When her excitement could no longer be contained, she burst forth from her bedchamber.

Servants who'd been busying themselves sweeping the hallway and placing fresh flowers in the vase upon the wooden console froze. Their wide eyes darted between each other and the abruptly opened doors.

Marie, the elder servant sweeping, set the broom aside. "I'll close the doors."

Clara gave a curt nod as she whisked by. "The violets are lovely," she complimented young Bethany with a warm smile. "Wonderful choice."

"Th-thank you," stuttered the girl still clutching onto the vase.

Clara strode with determination through the house, and down to the kitchen. William would surely be famished, and she wanted nothing but the very best for him when he finally came home.

The rich aroma of bread baking wafted toward her. A joke of some kind must have been told because as she approached the kitchen, feminine laughter echoed down the hall. She entered to find smiling servants already hard at work seasoning meats, peeling potatoes, chopping carrots, and kneading dough.

She pulled out a chair and sat down.

All of the servants' hands stilled and brought enlarged eyes her way.

"I was afraid I had overslept and we'd be off to a delayed start," Clara said, relieved to see that wasn't the case. "But I see you all are just as excited to see William as I am."

It took her a moment to pick up on the tension, but realization quickly dawned upon her.

"Please don't mind me," she laughed with a wave of her hand. "I'm not here to dictate or criticize your work. I trust you all will do your very best and a most delectable meal will be served this evening."

Deidre, the servant chopping the carrots, resumed working. "We best finish getting the meal prepared so the pies have plenty of time in the oven."

Clara smiled, ever grateful for the faithful servants, and rose from her seat. She strode past them to look out the window.

The women visibly shivered but kept working. Clara noticed their display of unease and knew it had to be due to the heavy grey clouds that now carried a tint of rust.

"Red sky at morning, sailor's take warning," Clara mused aloud, mostly to herself. "I do hope he has steady waters guiding him in."

The longer she stood there watching the rain ladened clouds, a torpefying sense of dread began to spread within her. She reached with one hand to rub her opposite arm, hoping to draw some comfort from the friction.

Unexplained despondency scratched at the back of her mind. Taunting her like a thought she should recall, but couldn't. A heavy air of melancholy threatened to dampen her high spirits.

"Well," she chirped, determined to regain the hopeful spark she felt earlier, "I'll leave you all to it."

She left just as quickly as she had come, departing with the new endeavor of ensuring their bedchamber was sufficiently prepped.