~*Chapter 58*~

"During my walk back to my room I realize how foolish I have been, expecting Harry to be different than before. I should have known better. I should have known that this was too good to be true. Harry kissing me in front of Liam, Harry being nice and wanting "more." Harry telling me about his childhood. I should have known that as soon as his friends came along he would go right back to the Harry that up until two weeks ago I despised."

"Hey, man! You coming tonight?" Nick asks as I walk into our room. Vanessa's sitting on his bed staring at him in the adoring way I wish Harry would stare at me.
"No, I'm going to study," I say. It's nice to know that everyone was invited, yet Harry didn't see fit to even mention the party to me. Probably so he could hang out with Molly without any distractions.
"Oh come on! It will be fun. Harry will be there." He smiles and I force one back to him.
"Really, it's okay. I need to call my mother and catch up with her and plan my assignments for next week."
"Laaaame!" Nick teases and grabs his phone. "Suit yourself. I'll be out all night, so if you need anything let me know," he says and hugs me goodbye.
I call my mother and tell her about my internship, and of course she is beyond pleased by my amazing opportunity. I leave Harry out of the explanation, but I do mention Des, though I say he is Liam's soon-to-be stepfather, which is true. She asks about Elijah and me, but I dodge her questions. I'm surprised and grateful to find that Elijah hasn't told my mother everything. He doesn't owe me anything, but I'm thankful for his omission. After listening to her talk for far too long about her new coworker, who she believes is having an affair with her boss, I finally tell her I really need to study and I get off the phone. Immediately, my mind goes back to Harry, as always. My life was much more simple before I met Harry, and now after... it is complicated and stressful, and I am either extremely happy or there is this burning in my chest when I think of him with Molly.I will go insane if I just sit here, and it's only six o'clock by the time I give up trying to study. Maybe I should go for a walk? I really need some more friends. I grab my phone and call Liam .
"Hey, Louis!" His voice is friendly and soothes some of my anxiety.
"Hey, Liam, are you busy?" I ask him.
"No, just watching the game. Why, is something wrong?"

"No, I was just wondering if maybe I could come over and hang out... or maybe if your mom doesn't mind I could take her up on those baking lessons." I let out a weak laugh.
"Yeah, of course. She would love that—I'll let her know you're coming."
"Okay, the next bus isn't for thirty minutes, but I will be there as soon as I can," I tell him.
"Bus? Oh yeah, I forgot you haven't found a car. I will come get you."
"No, really, it's okay. I don't mind, I don't want you to go out of your way."
"Louis , it's less than ten miles. I'll leave now," he says and I finally agree."

"I grab my wallet and check my phone one last time. Of course Harry hasn't texted or called me. I hate the way I feel dependent on him, especially when I obviously can't depend on him.
Determined to be independent, I turn my phone off. If I leave it on, I will go crazy checking it every few minutes. Figuring that I really should just leave it here, I put it in the top drawer of my dresser before I go out to wait for Liam to pick me up.
Minutes later he pulls up and honks lightly. I jump off the curb in surprise and we both laugh as I climb into the car."

"My mother is going insane in the kitchen right now, so be prepared for a very detailed baking lesson," he says.
"Really? I love the details!"
"I know you do—we're alike that way," he says and turns on the radio.
I hear the familiar sound of one of my favorite songs. "Can I turn this up?" I ask and he nods.
"You like the Fray?" he asks in a surprised tone.
"Yes! They're my favorite band—I love them. Do you like them?"

"Yes! Who doesn't?" He laughs. I almost tell him Harry doesn't, but then decide against it.
When we arrive at the house, Des greets us at the door with a friendly smile. I hope he wasn't expecting Harry to be with me, but seeing no disappointment on his face, I smile back.
"Karen is in the kitchen,enter at your own risk," he says mischievously.
He wasn't joking. Karen has the entire large island covered in pans, mixing bowls, and a lot of other things I don't recognize.
"Louis! I'm just getting everything ready!" She's beaming as she makes a hand gesture to highlight all the strange equipment.
"Is there anything I can help you with?"
"No, not at the moment. I'm almost finished.... There, I'm done."
"I hope it wasn't too late notice for me to come by," I say.
"Oh no, dear, you are always welcome here," she assures me and I can tell she means it.
She hands me an apron to wear and I tie it around my waist. Liam sits on the bench and talks to us for a few minutes while Karen shows me all the ingredients used to make cupcakes from scratch. I pour them into the mixer and turn it on low speed."