Chapter 12: Capturing The Mind

Start from the beginning

It would be an easy infiltration. Evie can easily pop open a window and get inside without anyone noticing, but the man is a problem. His hypnosis is strong and the last thing Evie wants is to fall under his control. She could be wrong about the device, but she rather not find out. A swift knife or bullet to the man would do the trick. This man is too dangerous to be left alive.

She glances around the street to see the lay of the land. The street was fairly empty at this time. Considering the theatre being so close, it probably kept most people away. Also, this is not the biggest thoroughfare. Her breaking in would not be noticed by many or anyone that would do anything.

Evie sneaked her way to the building and climbed to the second floor. Her mind's eye told her the man locked himself in a room. It seems he was feverishly pacing around the room. Probably scared of Evie chasing him, but also of who he has taken control of. He should be. Evie isn't sure if Sarah would be forgiving when she regains control over her mind again. Sarah itself was standing in the room as well but kept quiet, Evie assumes.

She opened a window with her hidden blade and swung herself inside. The man's worried voice already meets her. She was alone in the room she entered. It seems it was mostly left to its devices.

"Who in the bloody hell chased us?!" The man says as she was pacing around on his floor. Sarah kept silent as he did ask her anything. "Well, woman? Who was that?!"

"The person I love," Sarah answers easily.

"Shit, I am dealing with a dyke, no wonder it didn't work. Will she come here? Will she come for you? Kill me?"

"She will come. I don't know if she will kill you. Depends on you," Sarah answers. Her voice was still emotionless and monotone. Evie hates to hear it. Sarah's voice was a pleasing sound filled with kind words. Well, unless you are murdering someone or working against her. Evie silently walked into the hallways towards the room he locked himself into. Better listen before acting.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck," the man cursed, "You will protect me against her, won't you, my child?"

"I will not."

"What?! I command you! Do I as I say!"

"I will not hurt her."

Evie smiles as she hears it. Enough of her consciousness was there. The man's control was slipping from the looks of it. Perhaps it was just ordinary hypnosis. In any case, Evie needs to separate them. Too much could happen if she stormed in there. If there is one thing she learned then it was to control the situation as much as possible.

She took a few steps back and went to the front door. If he knew someone was at the door, he may do something to at least get Sarah out of there. She is his final defence for better or for worse. He may use her as a shield or something. The man seems like the type at least. I mean he ordered her to shake Evie off after all and with success.

Evie knocks on the door with a firm hand before booking it back into the room she came from. The door was left open ajar to have an eye on the whole situation. The man was worried as a half-muffled yelp came from him.

"G-get the door. Shield me from that she-devil," the man says with a wavering voice.

The door to his room opened and the man was walking behind Sarah. He practically thought Sarah would be an invisible shield from whatever would be thrown at him. In one of his hands, she saw the silver hellish object. Probably thinking he could take over Evie once she stands in front of him.

As Sarah was reaching for the door and the man tense up while holding the watch in the air, Evie was sneaking her way behind the man. Like a well-oiled machine, she knocks the watch away and held the man in a stranglehold.

"Sarah, wake up!" Evie says to get Sarah out of her whatever world she was in.

A deep breath was taken by Sarah as she stumbled on the place she stood. She tumbled against the wall as if she was utterly drunken. Her eyes were going to Evie as she watched in shock at what she witnessed.

"Evie?! What's going on? I- I was getting rid of the bodies... God, I am exhausted," Sarah mumbles confusedly.

Evie smiles as she slowly tightens her hold around the man's neck. He was desperately trying to loosen the hold of Evie without success. Evie wanted him to die, she really would. Only her father's lessons were drilled into her. He must be taken to the police. Even so, father never said anything about how it should be done. Well, not in this specific situation at the very least.

"I will explain, Sarah. One moment," Evie says and squeezed one time hard to knock the man out. Letting him fall on the ground without a care about how he would land.

"That man... he asked me for directions," Sarah says as a shaky finger points to the unconscious man.

"Maybe, but he hypnotists you. He used you to steal valuables, money, and whatever else he could think of I believe. He even ordered you to deal with me after I went after him to save you," Evie says as she puts an arm around Sarah, guiding her to a sofa that was at the end of the hallway.

"My god... Evie, thank you. I don't know what to say," Sarah says hugging the woman as they said down. Evie smiles hugging the woman tightly.

"Let's get you home."