8. Father's Relatives

Maryam completed her work on time as always

Maryam completed her work on time as always. She arrived home a quarter to five p.m (4:45), all she could think of is her daily routine that she does every day after work.

She stepped inside the living room, her eyes met with Hajiya Hauwa, her father's younger sister, and the mother of Yazid and Shukrah.

She scanned the room, and sitting on the other sofa is Kaka Zainaba, the sister of her grandma.

Maryam could feel it in her skin - there was going to be trouble, but she has to respect them being her father's relatives. "Assalamu Alaikum,".

Hajiya Hauwa rolled her eyes, despite the way she treated her, Maryam ignored her and squatted close to them. "Ina wunin ku (Good evening to you all)".

Hajiya Hauwa has always hated Maryam and Hajiya Binta, and she never misses a chance to show her hatred towards them.

"Lafiya... ya aiki? (Great, how's work?)". Kaka Zainaba asked with a small smile, that you wouldn't recognize if you don't fix your eyes on her deep set eyes, wrinkled face.

"Wani aiki, bar yar iska mana... Ba wani aika. Da kika ganta yawan iskanci da bariki take zuwa; ana so a rufa mata asiri a dan hada ta da Yazid. Kuma daga yau dan muzo bi za kiyi, ki gaishe mu daya bayan daya. Tafi ki bamu guri mara kunya kice wa uwarki ta zo kuma. (What work? She's just an indecent and immoral girl. She doesn't go to any work, but surely she goes and commits adultery. We want to help her, and protect her secret by getting her married to Yazid. And from today if we come greet us one by one. Get up and leave us disrespectful girl, and tell your mother to come),".

Maryam struggled to prevent the tears from trying to flow down her cheeks; she doesn't want her tears to fall in front of them.

She stood up and at a quick pace, she headed to the kitchen. Maryam knew that she was going to find her mother there; entering the kitchen, laying her eyes on her mother arranging food on a tray.

She reached to her and grabbed her in a tight hug, a flood of tears gushed down her cheeks. - she can always let out her feelings in the arms of her comfort zone.

Hajiya Binta started comforting her, knowing well what can happen and how Hajiya Hauwa could be. "Kiyi hakuri nasan Maman Yazid ce (I'm sorry, I know it's Yazid's mother),".

"Mummy, why are they here? What do they want? I don't love Yazid. It's Abaan that I love. And so we let them insult us, while we remain silent. Allow them to do whatever they want to do with us. Kaka Zainab doesn't protect us now,".

Kaka Zainaba used to stand up to Hajiya Hauwa's bad behaviour towards them, but as time goes on seeing she can't do it anymore; Yazid's mother is the type that never changes - Hajiya Zainaba ends up doing what Aunty Jidda wishes.

Hajiya Binta lifted her daughter's head and started wiping her tears. "Sorry, please stop crying. You see Abaan didn't tell you that he has feelings for you, he didn't declare he loves you. Is this how you are going to be without getting married?"