"Because a couple weeks ago we had a whole conversation about whether she was hot or not. You said she was pretty, not hot," Louis reminds him.

"Well I changed my mind-" Harry sassily says.

"Okay," Liam begins, "so you still surprise each other after five years, congratulations," he teases. Liam knows his two band mates well enough to know what the beginning of their arguments sounds like, so he interjects.

As the double date group pays the bill and takes a car back to their hotel, Harry keeps playing the previous conversation over and over in his mind. At what point in their relationship did he and Louis stop surprising each other and learning new things about each other?

Harry's hyper-awareness of his synchronization with Louis as they get ready for bed feels like a sharp pain. First, they change into pajamas; Harry hangs their dress clothes up in the closet so they don't wrinkle. Next, Louis brushes his teeth while Harry washes his face, and Harry brushes his teeth while Louis pees and washes his hands.

"Did I leave my scrunchie-"

"On your nightstand," Louis says as he slips under a smooth cloud of cool sheets and a puffy comforter.

"Thanks," Harry slowly says, his thoughts troubling him once again. How did he and Louis become so in sync without either of them realizing?

After the bedside lamps have been turned off and their phones docked on the nightstand until morning, Louis and Harry both turn towards each other and lean in for a kiss.

"Goodnight," Louis says against Harry's soft lips before kissing him again. "Love you, baby."

"I love you," Harry says. They shuffle even closer together so they can be in each other's arms. Any normal person would cringe at the idea of falling asleep entangled with their partner. Sure, Harry and Louis move apart in their sleep or if they wake up in the middle of the night, but even then, they do not separate completely; they are still of one melded soul.

Harry tries to let go of the evening and give in to sleep, but his mind will not shut off.

"Are you awake?" Harry whispers.

"Mhm," Louis hums, his voice sounding slow and sleepy. Harry exhales a long breath before continuing.

"Do we know too much about each other?" Harry asks.

"Mm-mm," Louis hums again. When Harry looks at his husband, his eyes are closed and his eyebrows are slightly furrowed, as they are when he is fast asleep. Harry moves to Louis' side of the bed and nuzzles into the boy's chest, wrapping an arm around his bare torso.

"We don't surprise each other anymore," Harry quietly says against Louis' chest. The room is quiet for a moment. Harry thinks Louis has fallen asleep, until he takes a deep breath.

"What do you mean?"

"Liam and Sophia just seem so enthralled by each other," Harry meekly says.

"Well they haven't been together for very long. Not five years," Louis points out.

"Yeah, but if we're five years in and we already know everything about each other and we don't surprise each other, what are we gonna be like in another five years?" Harry's eyes turn misty, and he swallows the lump in his throat before taking a calming breath. He doesn't want his and Louis' relationship to be at the end of the road, but he isn't sure where else it could go from here.

"Love," Louis coos. "Why are you so worried? We're fine, yeah?" He hugs Harry, pulling him even closer.

"Yeah," Harry agrees. Silence drapes over the room once again, but Harry is only halfway reassured. His mind keeps running, slightly panicked now, because he doesn't remember the last time he learned a significant new detail about Louis. Time plus knowledge and comfort equates to boredom, which can open a whole new Pandora's box of problems. If Harry and Louis are destined for boredom, Harry needs to change course as soon as possible.