Chapter 1

Six years later...

           I roll out of bed, swiftly remembering the harsh reality of the situation I'm in. I stumble to the shower. God, I love showers. The shower is the only place I can really think. No time to think today, though. I have early morning cheer practice.

Yay.

I quickly scrub my body and climb out of the shower, tugging on my cheer uniform.

 When I arrive at the kitchen table, there is a toasted bagel and breakfast sausage waiting for me. "Good morning, Zoe!" My mom says, turning off the stove. "Hey, mom." I reply as she sits down across from me at the table. I love my mom, I really do. But I could never forgive her after that night, six years ago. And all the other nights she's let my uncle be a homophobic bigot. "How are things going with that boyfriend of yours? Austin, is it?" She asked, with clear anticipation written all over her face. As you've probably guessed, I'm not actually into Austin. He's just my cover so that no one finds out about me. He doesn't know that, of course. "Everything's going fine, mom. We're actually going to the Winter Formal together." I reply, taking a rather large bite from my bagel. "How perfect! I'm taking you dress shopping this weekend! Does that work for you?" I mentally sigh. "Yup, that sounds like fun!" I exclaim, attempting to sound cheery. I glance at the clock on the opposite side of the room. "Shoot, I've got to get to cheer practice. Bye, mom! Love you." As I head to the front door, my mom stands up and shouts, "Love you too! Have a great day at school!" I make my way out the door, closing it behind me. 

"Hey, Zoe!" My best friend, Melissa, greets me as she leans against the locker next to mine

"Hey, Zoe!" My best friend, Melissa, greets me as she leans against the locker next to mine. "Hey, Melissa," I reply, putting my pink cardigan in my locker and slamming it shut. "Where's Emma?" "Oh, she's 'sick'," She replies, making air quotes. "But really, Jake just broke up with her, so she's lying in bed with a tub of ice cream wallowing." She sighs, walking with me towards the football field where we have our morning practice. As soon as we step outside, Coach is right up in our faces. "You're both late." She says sternly. "We're sorry coach, it won't happen ag-"

 "Just get in your starting positions, unless you want to show me those push-ups..." She interrupts, and Melissa and I scurry away to join the rest of the team.  

"Wave your pom-poms through the air, show your school you really care!" We chant right before the other cheerleaders toss me into the air. Time seems to stop so that it's just me and the crisp morning air. Or at least... I thought it was just me. But then I notice a girl walking across the bleachers. She's dressed in black cargo pants and a grey, sleeveless crop top. She has, to be honest, the most sapphic pixie cut of all time. And gosh, her lips. Wait, what am I doing? I shouldn't be even looking at her. Before I get the chance to fully collect myself, time continues as I drop back into my friends' arms. As they set me down, my eyes catch on the girl's eyes. Before I know it, I'm tripping over my own feet, falling face-flat on the grass. I quickly get back on my feet, and I notice that the girl is chuckling at me. I'm not even going to try and lie to you, it's really cute. "Zoe, what on earth was that about?" Coach scolds. "Sorry! Let's, uh... let's go from that last part. Count one." I apologize.  I continue with our tumbles and tosses, but for the rest of practice, I can't help but think about that girl...

Resources

Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386

Trevorspace: https://www.trevorspace.org/

Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868