twenty three

-

-

THE SCHOOL YEAR came around, all of them were freshmen now, but it wasn't easy.

max started shutting everyone out, she didn't really talk to anyone anymore.

only person she talked to was y/n, but she never hung out with y/n anymore.

y/n would ask max to hang out, but max quickly shut it down, saying she couldn't.

max swung her backpack on her shoulder, and got on the bus.

she quickly sat down next to y/n, who was looking out the window.

max tapped y/n's shoulder, making y/n instantly turn around.

"oh! hey, max." y/n greeted.

max smiled in response.

"do you want some of my skittles?" y/n offered max.

"yeah, sure." max responded.

y/n poured some of the skittles into max's hand.

y/n got some herself, and she looked over to max, who was eating the skittles.

y/n shot max a smile, to which max returned.

-

the bus doors opened, and y/n and max quickly got off, and began walking.

"max." the school counselor, ms. kelley called.

max immediately turned around, to be face to face with ms. kelley

"where were you yesterday?" ms. kelley asks max, as max took off her headphones.

"oh, yeah. sorry, i forgot it was thursday." max apologizes, as she looked away.

"well, i'd like to see you today. come straight after lunch, okay?" ms. kelley tells her.

max nodded her head quickly, and put back on her headphones.

y/n looked around the gymnasium, waiting for the pep rally to start, and waiting to see max.

over the past six months, y/n's matured. she was more calmer than she was in the past, and didn't lash out on people like that anymore.

of course sometimes she could have some attitude, and her remarks, but she was better than how she used to be.

she felt like she was finally able to bury the pain of her dad's death deep into her heart.

it probably wasn't healthy, but y/n didn't care anymore. she couldn't bare the pain of her dad's death any longer, or hide it.

so she just acted like it didn't happen.

max arrived at the pep rally, which max didn't want to go to, but was was forced to be there.

she walked in the pep rally, to see mike, dustin, and y/n were already there.