Chapter 8 - The Empire

Author's Note: Sith are Sith. What can I say? :)

~ Amina Gila

Anakin senses it immediately, the sensation of a bond in his mind ripping apart. He... didn't even realize it was there, but he knows immediately who it is.

Palpatine.

He's – He's dead, gone.

He doesn't want to believe it, wants to believe that he's just imagining what he feels right now, because how could he have died?

He knows the answer to it, though. The Sith were going to go after him once they were ready. Apparently, that time is now. He just... he knew it would happen, but he hadn't known what to do about it.

Palpatine was a Sith, and he hasn't talked to him since before Felucia, but... Obi-Wan is too. Obi-Wan should know what he's talking about, saying that Palpatine was evil, but – He doesn't want to accept it. He can't.

He was his friend. He looked out for him for years, even when Obi-Wan only lectured him for his feelings. Palpatine always listened to him. He was –

The Jedi would have done the same, though. They would want him killed for what he was doing. He did start the war, though, with Dooku, and... Anakin can hardly say that's good, no matter what his reasoning was. But...

He... he needs some time to think about this and sort through his whirling mess of emotions and he doesn't know where to start. He excuses himself the first chance he gets, disappearing to his room.

It hurts. It hurts so much even if it shouldn't. Palpatine did start the war and the other Sith are trying to end it – so there is a difference between them. But that doesn't make it easier.

He knows what Obi-Wan would have said before. That he just needs to let it go, that he shouldn't be this attached to him in the first place, because he's evil and a Sith, and it's what Anakin's duty would have said anyway, but that doesn't help. It doesn't change that he cares.

He doesn't know how long he's been sitting here when the door suddenly opens and Obi-Wan appears in the doorway. "Anakin?" he asks.

He doesn't want to talk about this right now. He doesn't really want to talk to anyone right now, especially not one of those responsible for this.

"Not now, Master," he requests.

"I sensed it, too," Obi-Wan replies, and to his credit, at least he doesn't sound satisfied – like Anakin knows he feels.

Sidious was his Sith master and he can't imagine that was pleasant, so he can't blame him, but still. This entire situation is... He doesn't know how to handle it, and there's no one he can talk to about it. No one knows, other than himself and Obi-Wan.

He doesn't know what to say.

"I know he was your friend, but – "

He's evil and he deserved it. He already heard that and hearing it again won't make it any easier. "We spoke of it before," Anakin interjects.

"Yes, but I know you are... upset."

"If you are going to tell me it would have been my duty as a Jedi, I know that," he replies, bitterly. Or if he's going to tell him the more Sithly reason he had to be stopped. He quite frankly doesn't want to hear anything his master has to say right now.

"I wasn't," Obi-Wan replies, crossing the room – still stubbornly, and unsurprisingly, ignoring Anakin's request to be left alone – and taking a seat next to him. "How are you?" There's genuine concern there, he thinks, which makes it even harder to come up with an answer.