"Your father would be so ashamed if he could see you, boy," Arnaud sneered, obviously unamused by their careless dismissal of him.

"Is that what you think?" Jacques asked, his voice pleasant and all the more dangerous for it. "You think my father, a prince of Vasconia, would want me to allow my wife, his niece, to be killed or disrespected in his kingdom?"

"Darling, when you say it like that, it sounds weird," Manon said, giving him a look.

He paused to think over her words before nodding his head once in concession. "When said that way, you're right, it does sound odd."

"You mean incestuous!" Arnaud hissed, saying the word they very deliberately weren't.

The nobles looked between them and him, eyes wide - she honestly couldn't tell if they were enjoying or dreading the show. Manon grimaced.

"There's really no way to defend our marriage without sounding like an excuse, is there?" She asked, looking at Jacques.

He shrugged, unconcerned. "I have no familial affection for you beyond that of my wife and we do not share blood. I see no problem with this."

"No one believes that lie!" Arnaud yelled over him. "You are the king's legitimate son, but this whore has seduced you into unnatural pleasures."

"You know, when he says it like that," Jacques started, grinning at her, "it sounds kind of intriguing, doesn't it?"

"Focus, my king," Manon said easily, not looking away from their prisoner.

Arnaud was fuming, glaring at both of them.

Jacques waved his hand, banishing the conversation. "There's no more need to discuss this. You have admitted to your crimes."

"It is no crime to depose a despot!"

"The punishment for treason and attempting assassination on the royal family is death," Jacques continued as though he hadn't spoken. "You will be beheaded at sunset. Have you any final words you wish to be heard?"

Arnaud was laughing now and, not for the first time since hearing about his capture, Manon felt a chill go down her spine.

"Yes, I have final words," he snarled. "I have words that will be spoken!"

"Speak them then," Jacques frowned.

Manon wanted to tell him no. Every instinct in her body screamed that this was a bad idea. He was way too excited for this chance to speak. For this chance for his words to be recorded for the sake of record and history.

"My final words are this!" He pulled against the soldiers that still held him up, his strength not even enough to jostle them. "I am loyal to my country! Devoted to my Lord! I may have done the things of which I was accused, but that does not make me guilty, nor does it make them a crime. What I've done is for the sake of the people. For the good of Gascony!"

Jacques shook his head, ready to dismiss him, but Arnaud continued.

"I die today for my country! I die for the sake of my king! I die for the chance to speak and be heard by everyone! Let all who tread this soil know, let them heed my warning, I know the truth of you, false queen!" He leveled a finger at her.

Manon's heart stopped in her chest. It was the first time he had addressed her directly, the first time he had actually looked directly in her eyes and not at Jacques. There was more than hatred in his eyes now. There was victory and triumph and a threat that set her nerves on edge.

"Take him away," Jacques ordered, sensing the same danger.

It was too late.

"You are an unnatural!" He roared, fighting back against the soldiers that pull against him. "I've seen your wicked powers, false queen!"