Chapter 15: Dangerously Co-dependent

Start from the beginning

But Nik only smirked and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "The only brick house getting blown tonight is you."

I rolled my eyes and took my drink from his hand before heading off in the direction of the park, knowing he would be following closely behind. As soon as I made it to the bench, I looked up at him and found myself longing for the past when we could be together. But I knew it was futile and any dreams of that life would only cause more sorrow.

"Would you like to tell me why you're here?" I began.

"You really have to ask?"

"Well you did show up unannounced."

"I would have called but I forgot your phone number." He shot back at me.

"Perhaps you should have taken the hint."

"Are you seriously—I'm not going to continue this conversation until you're in your real body."

"I'm not sure how helpful that would be for you."

"You have made enough decisions on my behalf." He snapped.

I did feel a pang of guilt at this remark. I had never intended for Nik to find out about me this way. I had only ever wanted to protect him from this pain but now that he remembered me, the damage was already done. So I obliged and carried out his request, discarding of my illusion and leaving in its place—

"Blossom."

Now it was his turn to be enthralled by me. His blue eyes shone with joy and his lips had curled up into his perfect smile. And when he smiled at me, his mind no doubt flooded by memories of the past, I wanted to be that for him. I wanted to be his Blossom again.

But I wasn't.

"I don't think you should—" I didn't finish my sentence as I found myself wrapped tightly in his arms. "I thought you'd be angry with me."

"Oh I am. Furious really." He admitted, still refusing to release his hold. "But I have missed you even more."

"You didn't even know I was gone."

"Of course I knew." He refuted. He broke his embrace but used his hands to cup my cheek with a melancholy look in his eyes. "You are so deeply rooted in my being that from the moment you left my side, I knew something was missing. I cannot be complete if I am parted from you."

"That feels dangerously co-dependent." I teased, earning a laugh from Klaus.

"You used to like that about me."

"A lot has changed since then Klaus." I gently took his hand away from my face, remaining steadfast in my decision even in the face of his tormented gaze. "You shouldn't even be here."

"Neither should you." He snapped. "Come home, Fiore. Your daughter misses you. I miss you."

"Well that is unfortunate, but I did my best to protect you from that." I remarked coldly.

"You shouldn't have left in the first place."

"I am not interested in rehashing points I have already made." I told him. "What I am interested in is how you remembered me. I doubt Silas invited you over for an outdated ritual and even then, he doesn't know where I am."

"Nothing is stronger than a daughter's love." Klaus explained, making my heart ache for our child. "She convinced me of your existence and one locator spell—assisted by a very confused pregnant witch—and here I am."

"Grace is that powerful?" I asked with genuine shock. She shouldn't have been able to undo my compulsion, let alone track me down.

"She's the product of The Original Hybrid and The Enigma, of course she's that powerful." He said with a proud smirk. "She wanted to be here, but I figured whatever danger you were in would be too much for a 16-year-old to handle. But you seem fine."

"Because I am the danger." I replied coldly. "I took on The Hollow. I'm helping Anastasia with The Convergence. It's not safe for either of you to be near me."

"Let me help you, Fiore." Klaus pleaded, taking my hand in his. "We can face Anastasia together."

"What makes you think I want your help?" I asked as I yanked my hand out of his hold.

"Blossom—"

"Stop!" I snapped. "I am not who you think I am, okay? Things are different. Everything is different."

"Then tell me everything I have missed." He continued.

"You won't like who I am now." I replied glumly.

"There is no version of you that I do not love entirely." He assured me.

I wanted to take his words at face value. Because I knew he believed them. But not even we could survive this.

"I'm The Hollow now." I began. "The monster that tormented our family for years is now one with me."

"Had you been The Hollow tormenting us, I don't think I'd have cared so much." He joked.

"You'd be surprised."

He took a moment to peer into my eyes before speaking up. "Does it hurt?"

"In a way." I told him. "There's this cold numbing feeling where my emotions used to be. But it's given me a chance to look at my life more honestly."

"And what have you learnt."

"For starters, I didn't like being a mother." I confessed.

"What?" Klaus said in disbelief. "That's not true. You love Grace."

"I did. I'm not disputing that." I clarified. "But I didn't like being a mother. At times, I felt like leaving in the middle of the night and never looking back. I never would. But I wished I could."

"Why?"

"Because I felt like being a mother got rid of all my goals in life." I replied with a shrug. "Before Grace my top priority was saving you from yourself. Then when that was done, my top priority was keeping Grace safe. There was nothing for me. I never had a goal that I wanted. I never had my own thing. You had painting, it calmed you and you loved it and you could be an artist if you really wanted to. I didn't have anything like that. I used to. But it's been so long, I don't even remember what it was."

"You should've said." Klaus murmured quietly.

"Perhaps. But could've is a different story."

"You can tell me anything. I thought you knew that." He said sadly, I merely allowed a wry chuckle to escape my lips.

"No one wants to be the woman who says she doesn't like being a mother." I told him. "And every woman out there that agrees with me, does the same thing. They suck it up. Because they love their child. And they don't want to hurt them."

"So why say it now? Do you not love her? Do you not love me?"

"I haven't felt that in a long time." I mumbled tiredly. "I know that I should feel it. I recognise the familiarity of it all. But the actual feeling...I don't know. I don't think so."

He looked back at me, filled with shock and pain. Because while I could recognise everything about him, he had no idea who I was. He didn't know me. Not anymore.

"I should go." I began, getting to my feet as I did. "Anastasia might find out about this, and she will no doubt do something to harm you or Grace if she does."

"So you do care if we get hurt then?" He said, a sliver of pointless hope lighting up inside him.

"I'm not heartless."

"I know you. I don't care what these past two years have done to you. But I know you love me. And our child."

"Klaus—"

"And if you don't...then give me one night." He begged. "And I will make you fall in love with me all over again."