Prologue

You sighed softly, slumping onto the bench. It had been another day of running from lost souls and struggling to stay alive. How much longer would you have to do this?

When 'the infection' first took over, you'd enter perhaps a husk or two in each region as all the other citizens frantically tried to flee. But now? It almost seemed like there was something looking to kill you at every turn you took. The only safe place for you was Dirtmouth.

Sure, the Mantis Tribe and Deepest stayed uninfected, but it's not like you were welcomed there. Everytime you wandered too close to their tribe, they'd immediately strike at you. Still, given the circumstance, you couldn't exactly blame them.

Hesitantly, you stood up, grabbing the worn down nail you had taken from a bug who couldn't be saved by it. You twirled in your hand anxiously, mentally preparing for the journey through what used to be known as the "City of Tears".

You peaked around the doorway, before dashing across the large room, narrowly slipping by the guard that swing his blade at you. Of course, not wanting to engage in battle and further damage your only weapon, you continued through with a faster pace, reaching the next room in a matter of seconds.

As you continued your walk to the Stag Station, it was practically impossible to keep your mind from wandering. How has it come to this? Just five or six years ago, you were laughing with all your closest friends, looking through different shops, and making fun of them for having a crush on the Pale King.

Yet here you were, treading a sorrowful path lined with corpses, utterly alone. Only one of your friends had survived, escaping with their family elsewhere as soon as news of the infection began to break.

"You seem sad today, little one." the coarse voice commented, causing you to look up. You hadn't even realized that you made it to the station.

"Do I? Sorry, I'm fine, just tired." You assured, approaching the old stag.

He let out a sigh. "Hm, if you say so..." He knew that it was best not to push or mention it, but that didn't stop him from being concerned. "Dirtmouth, I assume?"

"Yeah, Dirtmouth." You hopped onto his back, making yourself comfortable in the seat.

He took off with no further comments, running though the twists and turns of the route like the path was a smooth, straight line.

You had to it admit, though; you absolutely loved the stag rides. Not only was it a very low threat, but you also enjoyed the high speeds they would kick it in. It was a harmless thrill, one of the very few you were able to enjoy.

Though, it came to an end as the Stag slowed to a halt, allowing you to get off. You turned back to the Stag, offering an appreciative smile.

"Thank you, I really do appreciate it." you said. He gave a lighthearted chuckle.

"Of course, kid. Be safe out there." he, to which you nodded.

"Will do." and with that, you stepped onto the lift and out the door.

You immediately felt the breeze of the cool air hit your body, sending chills all across. You took a deep breath of the fresh air, smiling to yourself at the littlest things that reminded you of the beauty of life.

"Y/n," a familiar, aged voice called out softly. "It's good to see that you've made it back."

"You say that every time I come back, Elderbug." you giggled. "It's nothing new." you remarked sweetly.

"Yes, but I'm just relieved to see that you're okay. It's the few of us remaining that have to stick together." he replied.

You hummed. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll be in my house if you need anything." you finished off, bidding him goodbye as you entered your home.

Well, it certainly became your home after the breakout. You could only imagine what happened to the previous owners, but the possibilities were endless, even if it they seemed so narrow. Besides, you'd be homeless right now had you not claimed it your own. Might've been a bit inconsiderate or disrespectful, but you supposed you had to do what was necessary to stay protected, nobody could blame you for that.

Setting your nail against the nightstand, you made yourself comfortable on the large bed. Of course, you had changed the sheets before you even considered making use of it when you first arrived. So now, you were safe to sleep.

You closed your eyes, wrapping yourself in your blankets, and allowing your mind to be consumed by dreams.

.

You opened your eyes, confused beyond words. Normally, sleep felt a lot shorter than it actually was, obviously, but you could have sworn that you just fell asleep. And, if you remembered correctly, you certainly did not fall asleep surrounded by light, pillars,.and clouds.

"What?... Where am I?" you mumbled, squinting as to not be blinded by the brightness.

"You, dear, are in what is referred to as 'The Dream World'." a calm, collected voice piped up from behind you.

Author Note: Alright, here's to my first Radiance writing! I was actually very hesitant and reluctant to do the Radiance as the next book of my overlapping series, but then I finally had an idea as to what I could do with her, so boom! If you like this so far, be sure to check out 'Soft Spoken' [A Pure Vessel x Reader], my other book for this series (I'm not revealing anything else about it until the third book is out lol). With that being said, thank you for deciding to join me on this journey, I hope you stick around! See you next time!