Departure

A/N: Nyx is 10 years old.

3rd person

"Momma! Papa! What's happening? Why do I have to stay with the King and Queen? Why are you leaving me?" the little girl cried into her mothers chest.

"My dear sweet Nyx. We must leave to defeat those who would threaten Asgard. We must go because our duty is to the throne. Nyx, we must tell you something," the little girl pulled away and looked up into her mothers violet eyes, "whatever you do, you must not reveal your ability to the King."

The little girl frowned up at her mother, "why?"

The mother sighed and then the door to their home opened, revealing the child's father. He shut the door and knelt next to his wife and daughter.

"My sweet little girl. You must never change your form in front of others. If Odin knew of your powers he would force you to fight. We don't want that for you. You must promise to hide your powers. No one can know that you can change your appearance. You are special. No one else has the ability to change into any humanoid species. You must be careful," the father placed a necklace around his daughters neck, "this will help keep your shifting ability hidden. Swear it. Swear you will never use this power in front of anyone! Promise me!" The father yelled.

The little girl nodded her head. She still had tears streaming down her face, but she had quit sobbing.

"Good. We love you so much Nyx. Never take this necklace off," the little girl nodded her head, "come, it is time to take you to the palace. You will stay with Queen Frigga."

The little girl was dressed and her face washed by her mother. Once the little family left their cottage, they walked to the palace. The mother carried a bag, while the father carried their daughter. As they began to ascend the steps to the palace Nyx's father brought his mouth to her ear.

"Nyx, you are meant to be whatever you want to be. However all I ask is you learn how to fight, and control your Asgardian magic. Learn any and every way to defend yourself. You will not be safe when we die. So please? Do this for us?" The father asked his daughter as they reached the throne room doors.

The little girl pulled away and looked between her mother and father. She smiled.

"I swear it. I will learn how to fight! I promise." The little girl hugged her mother and father.

"We love you Nyx." The girls mother whispered.

The guards opened the door. The little girl sat up straight. She looked determined.

"Yes Mom and Dad." She put on a smile for her family and for having to meet the King.

The little girl held onto her father as they made their way in front of his throne. The father set the girl down. The father bowed and the mother and daughter curtsied. The little girl peeked up at the King.

"Nyx! He has not acknowledged us! Head down!" Her mother scolded her.

"It is quite alright Lady Lyra and Lord Fin. She is a child. I'm sure she is curious." The family stood straight up.

The little girl fidgeted with her hands behind her back.

"Thank you, my King." The little girl's father bowed again.

"Come my child. I have a favor to ask of you while we take care of you in your parents stead." The little girl was hesitant to obey the king's command.

The little girl felt a hand on her back. She looked to her mother.

"Go on." Her mother said.