Rules of Engagement

"So," Tabitha said. 

"So." I replied awkwardly. My sister and I were in the grand hall at the event of the century. Our parents the King and Queen of Macati. 
"A toast! To the future king of both countries of Macati and Lesivania! " My father called out raising his glass towards me. I nodded and raised my glass high while nudging my sister to do the same. 

"To the future king!" Everyone shouted in return also raising their glasses and chugging back their wine. I sat back in my chair and looked at my sister. 

"So how does it feel to no longer be the most eligible bachelor in Europe? "She asked with a smirk. I rolled my eyes and ate some green beans. 
"Weird, I haven't even met the girl." I replied. Tabitha scoffed, 

"No one has." She said. I sighed and turned away from her. Tabitha was right no one had met Princess Annabeth Tulip Marie Grace Loriath. She appeared out of nowhere and I didn't want to get married. I wasn't even eighteen until next month. 

"This is some party." Monique said from my left. She grinned at me and sipped on her wine delicately. 

"Oh yes quite a kick off for the start of the social season." Tabitha said while rolling her eyes. I grinned at her and stood up holding out my hand to my sister. 

"Care to dance Princess Tabitha, I'm sure it will make this party more enjoyable." I said.  

"Of course Prince Gabriel, I would love nothing more." My sister grinned and took my hand and we took to the dance floor. 

"Is that Princess Amelia of the west kingdoms?" She asked nodding to the raven haired beauty. It was strange to see her especially because she was going to be the first Queen in history. Prince Richard was talking to her as she sipped some wine, his best friend Athena seemed to also be enjoying herself . I was strange seeing the King and Queen of Fairsal and their daughter and Prince Michael here at court. " I wonder how their dealing with their people rebelling against them." She said. I shrugged, 

"People don't like change and even more don't like a female ruler." I replied. She nodded a pained look on her face.

"The trial seems to be keeping their mind off of rebelling." She said sadly 

 "I'm sorry Tabs." I told my sister, she was older than me but because she was a female I was to be ruler as the first born male. She was always upset whenever something similar was brought up, and always supported Princess Amelia in anyway she could. 

"Well brother enjoy your engagement." She said and grinned, and curtsied as the dance came to an end. 

"Trust me no one wants to get married less than me." I replied to her. I bowed to her in return and she took my arm and I led her off the dance floor. 

"What do you think she will be like?" Tabitha asked. 

"A breath of fresh air." I replied. "She wasn't raised as a royal, which means she wont think as one." I replied.  Tabitha smiled, I may be royal but it didn't mean I had to like it. I grinned at my sister and winked then turned towards the throne dramatically. 

"Long live the king!" I shouted raising a glass to my father. 

"Long live the king!" Everyone shouted back, raising a glass.