"The black ones," she replies, as if that is the obvious choice. I'm still really not sure. "So what does that mean?"

"It means my parents and I are leaving for New Orleans tomorrow right after school so we can get there in time for the rehearsal dinner for family. Could you find a place for these shoes?"

"Sure."

"Thanks."

"And when are you getting back?"

"Dinner time on Sunday," I say, taking the dress off its hanger and preparing to fold it into my suitcase. "Plenty of time for me to drop by, say "hey, love you", have some tea, and go to bed."

She takes the dress out of my hands and puts it back on its hanger, shaking her head. "You can't fold this fabric, Aug. And are you sure you can't get back sooner? What if I miss you?"

"You'll have to suck it up and realize that I'm missing you too," I say, taking the dress and hanger from her and placing a small kiss on the palm of her hand.

"Aw, come on," she says, pretending to pout. "You're going to miss the team run on Sunday."

"Never again, Em," I say, holding up one hand, counting how many pairs of socks and underwear have gone into my small suitcase. I might be done packing.

"The other girlfriends aren't coming this time," she replies. "Besides, you looked like you were kinda having fun."

"Yeah, other than- hey, I think I'm done!"

"Cool!" she smiles. "Now what were you about to say?"

That running would have been better if I hadn't been dodging bitches the whole time.

"Other than Jonathon messing with me the whole time, it would have been great."

"I don't believe you." She has her eyes narrowed in the way she looks at players up to bat. It's not fun to be on the receiving end of this look.

"I just don't like how the girlfriends act about you, that's all."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. Now can we go? The movie's going to start in half an hour, and I want you to meet Marabell first."

~~~

This is the first time I've actually walked into the movie theater since I met Emily- God, how long has it been?- so I've got an introduction to make. After we purchase the tickets for the 'vintage feature' of the month, Stand By Me, I take Emily to the door of the office next to theater three, and knock on the door.

"Who is it?" calls a gruff voice from inside. Marabell's a bit antisocial. That's okay.

"August," I call back.

In a moment, the door opens and out steps Marabell- all six feet, three inches, topped by frizzy brown curls and a bow.

"August!" she cries in her usual throaty tone, "What have you been getting up to? You haven't been around."

"Actually," I say, stepping to the side and letting Emily really be seen, "I've made a friend, so I've been... you know... hanging out and doing normal stuff."

"Oh, I know you," says Marabell to Emily, sticking her hand out to shake. "You're the baseball girl, right?"

"Emily Turner. Pleased to meet you." Emily's smile is proud and polite, but a little taut.

"Marabell Harris. I should have known you were August's friend," Marabell says. "So, what do you girls have planned for the summer? You know, I'm always hiring for vacation." The last sentence is more directed to me, seeing as she's been trying to get me to work for her forever.

"What do you think, Em?" I ask. "Wanna get a job before you take off in August?"

"I don't know, Aug. I'll have baseball camp," she replies. She's examining her fingernails as she says this, so I don't get to pin down the slight edge in her voice before the conversation goes on.

"You have plenty of time to think about it. You two here for Stand By Me?"

"What do you think?" I ask, smiling.

"I think I shouldn't have even bothered asking," she replies with a laugh. "You two have fun."

"We will," we answer together.

We pick our seats carefully- we're sharing the theater with only a handful of couples that range from middle school age to middle aged, so we go to the center of the highest row in the place. Best seats in the house. As soon as the house lights dim and eventually turn completely off, we lift the arm rest between us out of the way and lean into each other.

For how entertaining it is to watch Emily watch movies, I could probably watch her read the dictionary. I could stay here forever, and find myself disappointed when the ending credits roll. 

~~~

AN: 

Weird shit I just thought I'd tell you: EMILY WORKS AT MY WALMART. She doesn't know that she looks just like Em, though, so she must just get really creeped out by me. I stare at her constantly. BUT SHE DOESN'T KNOW THAT I WRITE ABOUT AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE VERSION OF HER. *sigh* I have no life...

Comment, Vote, Fan. I love y'all so, so much.

x