Demanding to be Noticed

Começar do início

With that he attempted to quickly speed away. Evidently, he was not fast enough as he managed to get hit on the arm by Beatrice's fan before he could pass her. "You are an arse!" She scowled at him as he turned the corner, flashing her a cheeky grin.

"That is quite enough of that." Her mother stated.

However, she could not quite get her point across since a small smile remained on her lips. Seeing her children bicker, even at their age, reminded her of when they were young and their family was complete. "I do hope you will not use that language in front of your potential suitors."

"Of course not." Beatrice feigned innocence at this. "Only in front of the men I do not like!" She quipped, beginning to walk away into the palace.

One's triumph at the palace today invariably
signifies one's success on the marriage
mart tomorrow.

As she entered the room designated for the debutants to ready themselves, Beatrice spotted Matilda. The blonde haired girl donned a simple green dress which perfectly matched the shade of her eyes. Those eyes lit up with joy as she too noticed Beatrice in the doorway of the room, rushing towards her and trapping her in a warm embrace.

"It has been too long Bea, I feel as though I have not seen you in forever!" Matilda exclaimed. She pulled away slightly to examine her friend, mumbling about how beautiful she looked and that she would have no issue finding suitors.

"Tilly, we spent hours together yesterday. Although I desperately missed your company during the carriage ride here!"

Beatrice looked more closely at Matilda's dress, marvelling at the intricate patterns that could only be seen up close. "You look absolutely magnificent. Although I do hope we both do not attract too much male attention, there is only so much courting one can handle."

"That is very true. I believe I shall immediately know if I meet my love match. I don't think I can deal with all the pleasantries I shall have to endure with men I have no intention of marrying."

"I agree with that sentiment. Although I do not worry too much about handling men I have no interest in, l shall scare them away." Matilda understood that Beatrice was not jesting when she said this, the woman certainly was a force to be reckoned with when she chose to be.

Noticing her mother walking towards them, Matilda sighed and turned to Beatrice. "Well I guess it is time for us to part. Good luck, not that you shall need it of course."

"Good luck Tilly, I shall see you on the other side."With that the women wrapped their pinkies together, slowly pulling apart as they moved in different directions, returning to their mothers.

***

Beatrice found herself to be in front of the oak doors of the presentation chamber. This was to be her defining moment. Although she did not care to find a husband, the way she presented herself to society would determine her social status for the rest of her lifetime. The pressure of this suddenly mounted on the girl and it was evident in her expression.

Noticing this, her mother grabbed her hand, reassuring her that she would not be alone in this endeavour. "Beatrice you will be quite alright, I promise you. It may seem daunting now but every other woman in society has felt how you do. We shall smile and greet the queen and all shall be okay."