“How are you feeling anyway?” Taylor asks, feeling helpless at being reminded how sick Karlie remains to be.

“I haven’t felt this good in days,” Karlie replies, still breathless from coughing. Seeing how horrified Taylor looks by the statement, Karlie smiles but tries hiding it by resting her head against Taylor’s body once more.

“You know I’m going to have to beat you up for this when you get better, right?” Taylor says.

“Good luck,” Karlie laughs.

“I am. I’m actually so mad at you. What would you have done if I didn’t come over here today?” Taylor asks.

“Thank you for coming,” Karlie replies sheepishly, avoiding the question. “Why did you come over anyway?”

“Because I hadn’t heard from you and I didn’t know what was going on, but I knew something was up,” Taylor answers.

“Shit! Did you text my Mom?” Karlie says, sitting up and reaching for her phone.

“No, I didn’t text your Mom. You are unbelievably stupid about this whole thing, you know that? You should have told your Mom you were sick!” Taylor exclaims.

“Shhh,” Karlie shushes, lying back against Taylor now that she has the phone in her hands. “Damn. Seven texts and four calls from her in the last twenty four hours. Okay, I’m going to text her so she doesn’t hear me. What should my excuse be?”

“You were dying and couldn’t make it to the phone,” Taylor says drily. Karlie ignores her and begins typing out a text to her mother. Taylor is struck by the comfortability of the moment. Lying in bed with Karlie after napping, the model lounging over her as she goes through the phone. The singer rests an arm around the model, thinking back to how she had been surprised with how cuddly Karlie was the first time they spent real time together in February. Now she can’t imagine anything else but this.

“I will deal with everyone else later, I have a headache,” Karlie says, dropping the phone amongst the blankets. Taylor places a hand on Karlie’s forehead at the sound of a new symptom developing.

“I don’t think you have a fever,” Taylor comments before taking her hand away.

“Thanks, doc,” Karlie smiles. “When do you have to go?”

Taylor pauses for a moment when she realizes Karlie isn’t expecting her to stay the night. Would Karlie not want her to? Is that crossing a line now? “I was thinking I had to stay the night…a member of my security will just be in the living room and I was going to sleep in the guest room, but if you don’t want me—“

“No, that’s not it. I didn’t want to ask, but I’m happy you’re staying because believe it or not I’m a little sick,” Karlie says.

“Yeah,” Taylor rolls her eyes, but happy to feel needed.

“I can’t breathe,” Karlie complains sounding frustrated. Taylor can hear how congested she is and can’t do much to help but try to make her comfortable.

“Lie on your side, it makes it easier,” Taylor says, softly nudging Karlie to roll over. Once again, Karlie does as she is told and lies on her side, back facing Taylor. The older girl mimics her friend’s position and lies on her own side, putting an arm over her and holding her close as Karlie contours her body to match Taylor’s.

“This is new,” Karlie laughs softly, as Taylor’s body cradles her.

“That’s because you’re inconveniently tall,” Taylor replies.

Karlie laughs a bit, and Taylor just enjoys holding her. It is usually the other way around, but Taylor finds herself enjoying Karlie conforming to her body more than she should as a friend. It is too easy for Taylor to nuzzle her face into to the back of Karlie’s head, appreciating the softness of her hair and the scent that Taylor has come to associate with happiness. She can hear each one of Karlie’s slightly labored breaths, sounding better as she lay on her side, and she is once again struck with the familiar feeling of wishing things could be different.