[34]

'Camila, hi! I didn't expect to see you still here at this hour.' Ruben said from behind her, giving her a slight jump scare.

'Gosh, Ruben you scared me!' She squeaked out. 

'Sorry about that.' He said sheepishly before furrowing his eyebrows. 'Why are you out here anyway? Everyone's either gone home or back to their trailer or hotel.' The race had ended a couple hours ago.

Camila held Alex's hat in her hand that he forgot in his garage. 'Alex forgot this here earlier. I came to get it for him before it got too dark.'

She began to feel a bit uncomfortable as she saw the way a smirk creeped its way onto his face and his eyes lingered over her figure.

'Alex is very lucky to have you as his assistant.' he licked his bottom lip and took a step closer to her, her feet instinctively taking her backwards to keep the space between them.

'He's pretty great to work for! The traveling is a huge perk.' She breathed out an uncomfortable laugh.

'That's not what I meant, Camila. I meant he's lucky to be able to look at you all day every day. Let me just say that.'

Camila was taken aback by his bold statement. She let her mouth hang open slightly before speaking again.

'I think that's all you should say, Ruben. I have a boyfriend.' She was being careful about how she handled this because she had a feeling that if she told him her and Alex were dating, it would come back to bite them both in the ass.

'I don't see him anywhere.' He made another step towards her and she turned so that her back wouldn't be against the wall where he could trap her.

'He's back at home for work. I think I should go now. Have a good night.' She said shortly, skimming past him and not looking behind her.

'Goodnight beautiful.' She felt a shiver run down her spine at that comment. She couldn't believe what just happened - her boyfriend's new mechanic was hitting on her and really trying to make a move on her. First of all, how dare he? Especially after she told him she had a boyfriend. Second - how the hell should she play this with Alex? Does she tell him and then the whole team is at jeopardy because of one comment made to her, or does she keep it to herself and just hope that it was a one off thing?

Opening the door to the car that was taking them back to the hotel, she handed Alex his hat. 'Here you go, hon.'

————

Not much later when they were in their hotel room, Camila walked towards the bathroom and went to go brush her teeth to settle down for the evening. Alex, damn him, could sense something was off with her. Her body language was different every since they left the track.

'You alright baby? You seem tense.' He asked her, coming to stand behind her as she washed and dried her face with a towel. Scenario 1 or scenario 2? Quick, or he'll suspect something. Fuck it, scenario 2...

She shook her head and smiled at him through the mirror. 'I'm fine! Just a little more tired than I expected. It's been a long and eventful day.' She turned around to kiss him and rested her hand on his chest.

'Are you sure? You know you can talk to me about anything.' He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and looked into her eyes.

'I know. There's nothing baby, I promise.' She kissed him again and took his hand in hers to lead him to bed with her.

As they were laying in bed together basking in the silence, Alex's phone was going off non-stop.

'Oh my god, what now?' He groaned, making it noticeable that he didn't want to get out of bed as his feet hit the floor to go get his phone from the dresser. He opened his phone screen and his heart sank to his feet.