A New Year's Jori

Beginne am Anfang

"Maybe..." Tara smiled back, then heard a buzz in her pocket. She took out the hefty smartphone that barely fit in her hand and squinted at the bright screen showing a notification from Nora.

Seeing the phone's bright backlight in the corner of her eye, Jade looked to Tara with surprise. "Ooh, looks like Short Stack's dumbphone got an upgrade!"

"Yeah..." Tara fiddled on the phone's screen to adjust the brightness settings. "It was Christmas present from Nora and Piper. I told them the old one worked just fine, but they insisted I'd need this..."

"Trust me, you're gonna be glad you have that," Jade chuckled, "The world's going more and more digital, after all."

"Don't I know it," Tara sighed, finally finding the Messages app to read the text from Nora.

NORA: Have you arrived yet?

TARA: Yeah. Jade is driving me to Toro's now.

TARA: TORI'S. I hate texting like this. There's no buttons!

NORA: You'll get used to it, darling. That new phone's helped you get around Miami a lot better, hasn't it?

TARA: Sure. Easier to get a ride, check the weather, and other stuff. I'm not touching any social media stuff, though.

NORA: You don't need to. It's not for everyone. But at least make sure to get Tori's number when you get there, and don't forget our little secret.

TARA: I know. Thanks again for the quick flight.

NORA: Thank Jade. She paid for most of it.

TARA: Oh. Still thanks.

NORA: Of course, dear. See you soon. [heart emoji]

"Who's that?" Jade asked as she squinted at the traffic lights ahead.

"Your mom," Tara answered, "Just asking if I'm here yet and all that."

Jade scoffed, "Figures she'd check in as soon as you land...with how much she's been doting on you, she's practically adopted you."

"Funny...because that would make us like sis—" Tara's eyes widened before she finished that thought and immediately shook it away with disgust. "Ew! No! Forget I said that!"

Jade felt an uncomfortable cringe run up her spine as she made a similar face, "Jeez! Why'd you have to say that?!"

"You started it!" Tara snapped before shivering in discomfort, "Anyway...what about Tori? Are you two living together here, too?"

"Not quite," Jade shook her head, the prior topic cleared from her head, "We've been staying at our own houses since we came back for Christmas. Tori's family's been glued to her ever since, and she doesn't mind at all. After releasing a cover album and an original EP, she couldn't wait for this downtime."

"So you were all by yourself at your house until your mom came back with Piper?" Tara frowned, "You weren't lonely?"

Jade chuckled, "Oh, hardly! When my mom said she wanted to stay in Miami for Christmas, I was more than happy to hold down the fort alone. Besides, living alone made it that much easier when Tori would come over for a late-night fondue~"

Tara's eyes narrowed suspiciously at the last few words, "'Fondue'? Do you mean like the actual cheese and bread, or is that another word for...stuff?"

"Wouldn't you like to know~?" Jade grinned to herself, "But seriously, we've gone on a few dates, but not much lately since Tori's been getting recognized a lot more in public. It was nice at first, but...it gets to her sometimes, so that's why we just hang out together at our homes."