Chapter Five

By the time I came to my senses and fully realized what had just started, he was already beside the bed. He leaned in close, his nose inches away from the drapes.

"May I ask why you have come at such a late hour?" I gave him a look sharper than the features on his face that were hardened by the candlelight.

"Looks like you didn't take the vitamins the doctor gave you, pity," he sighed, brushing off my words and sweeping his eyes over to Ryia, who slept soundly next to me. The hint of irritation in his voice told me that I made the right choice by spitting out that disgusting pill. Instead of moving closer to me, he took a sharp turn around the corner of the bed, dragging his fingers across the bed frame. Once on the other side, he stopped in front of Ryia and reached his hand out to raise the drapes.

"What are you doing?" I snapped at him with a shaky voice. His eyes shot towards me with a piercing glare, as if challenging me to continue speaking.

"I am simply going to take Lady Ryia to her own room so that you can both rest comfortably," he sneered. I barely knew this girl, but that didn't matter. I wasn't sure exactly what he was planning, but I didn't trust him enough to let him lay a finger on her.

"While I appreciate the thought, and I'm sure she would too, both of us would much prefer if we stayed in the same room. So, no need to move her. If you have any other plans..."

"Are you trying to accuse me of something?"

"Are you planning on doing something that deserves accusations?"

"Do you forget who you are speaking to? Accusing a member of the royal family without due cause is considered treason. Your words have a weight that you don't seem to understand."

I gritted my teeth. He was right, as much as I wanted to snap back again, I would have to bite my tongue for now. Sure, I wasn't sure what I was going to do here, but I could never figure it out if a sad excuse for a male lead took me out right off the bat.

"Sorry, you are right your majesty, I was indeed speaking out of turn," I bowed my head, but my eyes still tracked him, "my thoughts are still racing from the events of today, please excuse my rude behavior."

Sawyer came back to my side of the bed. His arm reached out He pull the drapes away completely, leaving nothing but stiff air between us.

His burning eyes stared me down, "last time I checked, you were the daughter of a drowning count, chosen to be the lady in waiting for Ryia because you were a spineless, mild-mannered girl who would never speak a word unless spoken to. A pretty little marionette doll that only came down off the shelf to tie dresses and pour tea."

He lifted his hand towards my face but stopped, letting his fingers hover an inch from my chin. As his scowl turned into a smirk, he continued speaking.

"I don't recall you ever getting in my way before, but here you are, trying to challenge me. I admire your confidence and the fact that you'll defend her, but there are times when you should back down. Maybe that little accident knocked you around to the point where you forgot your place, but I suggest that you find it rather quickly."

I kept quiet, only giving a quick nod.

"I'll take that little nod as an 'understood'."

He stepped back and let the drape fall back into place. He turned and strode back across the room with heavy steps that made the floor creak. I watched his back as he left, waiting for the moment when the light from the hallway disappeared again and I could finally breathe easy.

"For the record, I was just going to move her, but seeing your feisty attitude has made me change my mind," he turned his head over his shoulder, "consider yourself lucky, both you and that little brat who works for the Alterio family. You two need to step back into your corners before my patience dwindles away."