Chapter four

Mother walked to her room after that.

I walked too. Slowly and sluggishly to my bedroom. My bedroom. My soft squishy bed.

My room. My quiet, cold bedroom.

My dark walls. My fading walls. My-

---

I woke up early this morning. Probably because I had been sleeping for a while. I decided to get out for a little fresh air.

Just moms car. It wasn't a dream.

I walked my usual route going down the same paths choosing a different one and eventually going in a circle.

I got back to my house and opened the front door. It smelt like expired cheap flower perfume. I don't know how perfume would even expire it just smells like it.

I turn to see my mom siting at the kitchen table. She asks me if I'm ready and we walk out the door. Back into the warm summer air.

I know its the start of September but it still smells like summer. Its still, so warm. So confronting. I love warm weather.

I open the classroom door to see Ms. Kimberly talking to some parents at her desk. Akane was trying to talk to some other kids and they shooed her away. She sits at our table then notices me.

She runs up to give me a big hug. We sat down and she started rambling right away. "Whats the long face for Sato?"

"Nothing" I muttered. Akane pouted "Oh come on, am I really that tiring?" I chuckled "Well.."

She grabbed my hand, "Come on!" We ran over to a table full of coloring books. "What are these for?" Akane just laughed "Ms. Kimberly got them for everyone in the class. Look!!! Rin! I brought some markers from home! Wanna use them?" I said "Sure" as a I ran back to our table.

The coloring books were full of pictures of various animals. Akane looked at me excitedly "Whats your favorite animal?" "You know id have to think about that one, but I like this seagull coloring page. Reminds me of the beach."

Akane practically put her body on top of the table as she zoomed forward to see it in my coloring book. She gasped at the sight of the coloring page "I love the beach!!"

She sat back down in her seat "Cats are my favorite." She held up the coloring book and flipped to the page she wanted to color "Look! This is the one I want to color! Hmmm how should I color it.. OO! What if I color it black with white spots?!?" "That would be nice" I said softly.

Akane rambled about cats and random things for 2 hours while we colored. Eventually, we had to go eat lunch.

After lunch was over we went to sit at our boring table. We have to do work of course, at least its light work. Akane's hair is so peculiar. Ive never seen pink hair before. I mean to be fair i'm not exactly normal either, her hair matches her fun personality though.