Prologue

I was cutting my steak while smirking and slyly looking at my brother, Jeongyeon, now a doctor because he just passed the boards!

We were at a family dinner in Mom's favorite restaurant to celebrate my brother.

Well, I was also celebrating because this success also means I was officially free from the pressure of whether I get into medical school or not.

But jokes aside, I was so excited for him to finally start a new chapter in his life.

My family owns a hospital. My mother works in the corporation field of the hospital, and my Dad is the chief of medicine. Imagine the pressure they were putting into me when Jeongyeon was having second thoughts about continuing med school.

But now, I was officially free from my family's business that I don't give a fuck about.

"Let's give a toast to Jeongyeon, for having passed the boards, and for continuing the legacy of the Jeon Medical Group," mom said. "I am so proud of you son, and I am so glad you chose this path, not because we pressured you into pursuing it, but because you chose it."

If it wasn't obvious, he was clearly the favorite.

When he told the family he wouldn't continue anymore, Mom didn't ask him questions. She instead immediately pressured me.

But I didn't hold grudges though. I love her so much to do that. She gave me everything I needed. Gave in to my caprices, and accepted me, even when my Dad refused to look at me even just for a second when I came out to the family.

I loved my brother, too. Sometimes, I thought he went into med school because of me. Because he knew I was scared of blood, I was scared of injections, and .... was scared of hospitals.

Every fucking thing that makes up a doctor, I was scared of it.

Mom didn't know that, of course.

It was Jeongyeon whom I called when I had an accident and was hospitalized. We only told Mom and Dad that we were having a retreat in Seoul when they asked for me.

Jeongyeon saw how depressed I was when I was admitted. He was 2nd year into med school at that time.

After I was discharged, he told Mom he didn't want to continue med school anymore. But he suddenly changed his mind though when he heard my Mom pressuring me, later that night.

"Also, congratulations to you Taehee, I am so happy that my son were not alone in this journey. You are very welcome to our family, and we would like it if you apply for the internship in our hospital" Dad announced in front of everyone.

"Thank you, Doctor Jeon. We actually haven't talked about this yet, me and my family. You know how my Dad doesn't like it when I and my brother keep things from him," she trailed off, "but thank you. What you said means a lot to me." She genuinely smiled. 

Ah... She's really sweet. I'm also happy my brother met her. If it's true that he only continued med school because of me, it would really make me feel guilty if all the crying, pent-up emotions, and stress were because of me.

It made me feel less guilty though...

Because he met Taehee in med school.

That counts, right?

I was just so happy everything turned out to be fine for the both of them.

When he started his internship in a different hospital, Mom and Dad refused of course, but he said he didn't want to be treated differently. I thought it was only fair... But now I regretted it. I could only hope I thought differently.

I was busy at school.

SNU held its annual valentine's day festival, and since I was an art student I was assigned with the stage designs and everything that has to do with making it look pretty, together with my fellow art students.

I was very focused on pinning down messily heart-shaped paper everywhere because I was fucking tired. The sun was down and I haven't eaten anything after my lunch. My phone suddenly rang, I ignored it once, twice... and after the third ring, I picked it up.

"Hello?" I asked tiredly, without even checking if who has called.

"Hello? Is this Jeon Jungkook?" A woman with a calm but laced with worry voice asked. I looked at my phone and saw that it was my brother's contact name.

"Who's this? Where's Jeongyeon Hyung?"

"This is from St. Claire's Hospital. I'm sorry to say this but your brother got into an accident, he had severe head trauma and we need your consent to operate on him right now. I'm sorry but I need you to make the decision immediately."

It was the very dreadful phone call that I ever had. The memories I had with my brother suddenly flashed back. I was glued into my place, I couldn't even manage to say a word, I only hummed as a response.

My brother...

My sweet, responsible brother who couldn't even hurt a fly, hell he hadn't even tried to raise his hand at me or said harsh and hurtful words to me when I was a brat to him.

But he didn't make it. He died... Jeongyeon died without even waking up after the operation.

He died without saying goodbye. He died without hearing me say that I loved him and I was thankful for him.

He just...

died.