And then he was gone, and Asteria was left all alone again.

With a melancholy sigh, she began to open the presents she had received. From Lily, a whole box of chocolate frogs! From Remus, more books, her favorite being one about Quidditch. Marlene had gifted her a bat to add to her collection, Dorcas had given her beautiful earrings courtesy of her family's business, and Mary sent her a drawing she had done of Asteria over the summer. Gleefully, Asteria sent them all letters of thanks. Sirius had sent her a package that covered her face in blue dust as soon as she opened it (she hoped he'd enjoy his gift to her), while James had sent her a small Quidditch-themed snow globe. She momentarily felt bad about her prank gift for him.

After that, she began to read through all the letters, laughing every time Marlene sent her an update of James' behavior. Always the drama queen.

Asteria never did see Adonis later. He spent the remainder of his holidays at the Rosiers', preferring that to the dreariness of Grey Manor. She couldn't blame him, of course. Contrary to the Greys, the Rosiers treated their children and friends with affection; proof that not all pureblood families were lacking in the love department. Clearly, her and Sirius were just unfortunate.

After Adonis left, Asteria quickly sent a letter to Lily and Remus explaining her disappearance ("Mother's incredibly strict about who I can owl, I'm sorry") and they simply understood. That was what she loved about them - they never pushed, knowing that Asteria didn't enjoy talking about her parents. In return, she didn't push either, only let them know they could talk to her about anything if they wanted to.

The three of them had a weird friendship. One that was unexpected, but they were drawn together by their love of books. Lily and Remus introduced Muggle literature to Asteria, the latter scarfing them down. Despite her sorting into Gryffindor, Asteria had inherited her father's Ravenclaw thirst for knowledge and books. The Catcher in the Rye was her latest read, and she finished it in the span of three days. It was a haunting read, one she couldn't wait to talk about with Remus. One could argue it was a bit too mature for a girl of her age to read, but Asteria had always felt her comprehension level to be above average. She was a pureblood, after all, and purebloods began their education at a very young age by the best tutors money could buy. Of course, she had to hide it from her parents, who would be furious she was dabbling in Muggle literature.

Callie and Selene disappeared immediately after the gala, doing whatever it is they did. They would arrive at Platform 9¾ by their own devices, while Adonis would arrive with Rosier. That left Asteria with the revelation that it would simply be her and parents without her siblings acting as a buffer, a fact which made her stomach knot.

That was until Queenie appeared in Asteria's room with a pop. The old elf looked saddened, unable to make eye contact with the girl. "Mistress Grey instructed Queenie to take Miss Gr- Asteria to the Platform, Miss," the elf said, which caused Asteria to look up from her book.

"Master Grey is away, and Mistress Grey is not feeling well," Queen rushed out, twiddling her little thumbs. Asteria sighed and shook her head, beginning to throw her clothes into her trunk.

"Of course," Asteria scoffed, discarding her book. "What did I expect? A lovely mother-daughter trip to the platform?" She began throwing her books into her trunk, plowing right on, "That's fine, I don't need her anyway. Let her pretend I don't exist, see how much I care!"

Asteria's lip wobbled, and she dropped the skirt she was holding. "What did I do to her, Queenie? Why does she hate me so?"

"Oh, Miss Asteria," the old elf gingerly approached the girl, wrapping her small arms around the girl's neck. "Mistress Grey does mean things sometimes, but it does not mean she hates Miss Asteria."