23 |• Unspoken vow •

Previously on chapter 22

"I..."

"Answer me now, young fox?" Tsune demanded, her cold voice struck the smaller fox's feeling. 

»»---------««

❝Letting go doesn't mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be

Letting go doesn't mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be. – Unknown

The empyrean of the night appears barren and infinite, no scattering white pearls to give her clues through tough times. She was like a sitting duck, bathing in the rippling loss of regrets. Beneath the eyes of burdened, the demon looks ahead for pleas of strength – the strength to persist, to fight for the good things.

But she found nothing, suffocation of emptiness is threatening to throw away her hope as she stares at the overcast of a foggy, nightfall; a massive curtain of gunmetal canvas portraying what she feels–her composure falling apart, whacking every bits of assurance she fostered in her mind.

The alabaster-haired girl found herself deprived of power to hold close the treasures that burrow deep in her heart. Uncertainty towards the future were plastered with red flags of their destiny that screams of doom all over the place with their lives. The transparent air unveils in her presence and it began to unfurl past her silver locks, grazing the tips of her ears. To her, it felt like it subtly sang a cold reminder to the fox demon...

Like a clock ticking running out of time, it matches the beat of her heart with indecisive choices. The ice user seems to be tongue-tied, withholding the oath she was about to say. To give the pledge would mean everything that she would put on the line even if it would inevitably strain her close-knitted bonds with them. It is what she decided to do in this timeline.

Becoming a self-sacrificing fool was a new thing to her. It kind of reminds her of that young swordsman's behaviour who influences her too much.

From the young fox's forehead, the globule mixed with her anxiety continues to trickle down her chin. Fast as lightning, the female's brain clicked in one's realization. And the depths of her sunken eyes became prominent, the dry lips of hers automatically deliver the unadulterated truth.

"When do you want me to leave?" The maiden's tone releases a sliver of mere hesitancy though her shaky eyes couldn't hide a wavering soul under the woman's scrutinizing gaze.

"Shouldn't you decide? Since you know what's best for both of your sake," Tsune snorted, brushing her blue locks farther from her poker face. One glance from a demoness to the disheartened teen, resulted for the bluenette to sigh disapprovingly. In less than a second, the older one shifted to stride towards the tensing girl, swiftly grabbing her fan under her obi.