Chapter 8: Kuruvamsha- The Clan of the Kurus

Comincia dall'inizio

"And why did you do that, Bhim?"

"Because he called me a fatso."

Drona let out a weary sigh. "Duryodhan, how many times have I told you to control your brothers? Just because you are a prince does not mean that you can get away with everything. This is an aashram, a shrine of knowledge, before which you all are equal." Drona turned away, dismissing Duryodhan completely, and noticing Radheya - who was trying to pump out water from Durjaya's chest - demanded, "You, boy! Who are you? How did you get in here? Get off the Prince at once!"

Terrified, Radheya got up and desperately racked his brains for a suitable answer. Thankfully, Ashwatthama chose just this moment to interfere, rambling about injured boys and angry royals and Radheya very bravely decided to flee. He had almost disappeared from sight when he heard Drona asking his son in a stern voice, "Who was that boy?" and a subdued answer, "A friend, his name is Vasusena. His father is the assistant charioteer of the Grand Regent..."

___________________________________________________________________________

A week later, his father, who had grown increasingly discontent about his military education despite his success in the field, woke him up before day break and said, as he usually did (i.e. without preamble), "Dress up, we are going to the palace today."

"We?"

"Yes, you and me."

"But why?"

"Stop asking this many questions."

"It isn't even daylight yet."

"You can't sleep till noon everyday. Stop arguing, this is important."

Grumbling, a half asleep Radheya rolled over and scooted around the foot of the hayloft, maneuvering himself around his brother's feet to reach the stepladder. Adhirath got down to make way for him. Shon groaned and opened one eye grouchily, "Stop prowling around like a pisach. It's not even dawn."

"I know. Father's is taking me to the palace."

Shon shot up from bed, all traces of sleep gone, "What?! Why am I the last to know about it?"

"Because you are the youngest and a baby."

"BHAIYYA!!"

"Oh! Don't yell this early in the morning. I didn't know either. He told me just now."

Shon snorted, "Typical. Well, good luck freezing outside."

"I'm going to be a warrior. They can bear such things."

"Then lucky me, that I'll never be a warrior. Who gets up this early anyway? Especially in winter! I'm losing you, my personal furnace, in this cold. Even those pig-headed, shrieking roosters are not up now and they're supposed to be the wake-up call of nature or whatever."

Radheya very eloquently rolled his eyes in response.

"VASUSENA!  Get your lazy bum down here this instant."

Radheya nearly fell off the ladder at the shout, and with a hasty 'Gottagobye', leapt down and set about washing his face and pulling on clothes. His father stood impatiently at the doorstep of their little hovel as Radha maa smothered him with hugs and kisses before handling him a small bundle of boiled rice with a raw onion which he supposed he would have to swallow at midday. When his mother finally let him go, he slipped his small, warm palm into his father's big, cold one and together, they walked up to the resplendent residence of the Kurus.

____________________________________________________________________________

Much to Radheya's disappointment, they did not enter through the main gate. Instead, his father took a smaller archway to the side, much farther from the face of the palace. That, however, did not prevent him from drinking in the beauty of the building. From the angle he was looking at, he could see a ginormous doorway, fifteen feet tall in the very least, with two breathtaking life-sized elephants made of spotless white marble and inlaid in gold, guarding it on either side. Hastinapur, the name of the capital, Ashwatthama had told him, literally meant 'The City of Elephants' but he had never imagined it was this literal. The long carriageway was bordered by lush green vegetation in full bloom, a plethora of colours coalescing into an alluring artwork, fathomable and unfathomable. Their scents mingled in the air, alysums and carnations and nasturtiums, all coming together in an indecipherable medley that made them even more pleasant. This was the bourgeois of Aryavarta, near divine in their sublimity and magnanimity. 

Grass, smooth as the best carpets in the bazaar, crunched underfoot as they made their way to a side door. A soldier, in a garb befitting his status as the guard of a side-door of the palace, stopped them with an air of self-importance and had a quick, hushed conversation with his father before they were allowed to pass. Radheya found himself walking along a long winding corridor, broader that the width of their entire house, supported by towering pillars with carved paintings and murals of gods, goddesses, mythical creatures, and surrounded by gargoyles of elephants. The freezing marble nearly numbed his bare feet.

They stepped off the corridor after a long tedious walk, and wove their way through such a large number of paved routes that Radheya began to fear they had entered a labyrinth. At last however, a long, wooden building with a thatched roof appeared, and his father led him to it. The place was completely deserted, save a lone man dozing in a corner. It was only after he entered that he realized it was a stable.

This again? Was this another attempt by his father to encourage him to become a charioteer or a stable keeper?

Nonetheless, Radheya very wisely kept his trap shut as his father ushered him to a single coup with a beautiful brown mare and lightly touched the man's shoulder. The man jerked his head up and noticing them, gave a curt nod to him, a Namaskar  to his father, and relieved of his duties, walked away. Unlocking the gate Adhirath said, "Listen carefully, Vasusena. I am the keeper of this stable and usually, when His Excellency - the Grand Regent goes out, I call some other stable hand to do it. But we are going out early today, and boys take extra to take care of horses when they are not supposed to. I told His Excellency about you, and he has deemed you fit to stay here for this purpose. Let no one in, and none out either, we shall be back before the Sun touches the zenith. Am I understood?"

"If the Grand Regent is going out, then where is Satyasena bhaiyya?"

"You fool, the head charioteer drives. The assistant arranges the horses and the car."

"And so, you are making me sit here this early, to deprive a poor boy of an extra wage?"

Adhirath looked reproachfully at his son. Radheya felt a pang of guilt. His father meant well enough, even if their opinions did not always concur. Tilting his head up, Radheya noticed the blush of dawn shimmering off the golden dome of the palace. How beautiful, he thought irrelevantly. Turning to his father, he said quietly, "I will do as you say, baba."

Adhirath smiled, and in a rare moment of affection, ruffled his hair. Then clapping him on the back, he ordered, "Behave yourself."  With that, he went off.

Behave yourself,  Radheya snorted to himself. As if the horses would complain if he didn't.

A/N: I just realised that I forgot to put the lisp in here. I am sorry if anyone got the notification twice. That's just me editing it. I apologise for the inconvenience.