#33: You're Not What You've Done

Comincia dall'inizio

"But why her of all the soldiers?" Tony wondered. "They left all the others behind but took her –why specifically her?"

"Well, she was not like the rest of us," Bucky responded. "She had some special abilities –powers, you could say. When they first brought her in, she even had wings. When I saw her again, though, they were gone. Her powers were one of the main reasons she was their most interesting... research subject. She went through much worse than I or any of the other soldiers did –one could say she was their favourite lab rat..."

"Wait, wings?" Steve asked in awe. "Like... like an angel or something?"

"You could say so. Now that you mention it... Winged, smart, quite pretty... Yes, she is the closest thing to an angel one could meet, I suppose."

Steve shrugged. "I should've seen it coming. Four years ago, we met literal gods, and I assume those two go together."

"Do you think we might have a visit from Thor?" Clint asked.

"I wish," Natasha said and glanced out the window at the stormy sky. "We could really use a god right now." She stood up. "Anyway, we need to bring them down before HYDRA grows again, and we must rescue that woman from them," she said then, bringing them back to the main discussion matter.

"We'll need a plan," Wanda spoke up. "It will take months."

"We know the location," Bucky answered, "and I've seen this team has some of the most capable people I've ever known. We can do this as long as we stick together."

So months went by –months of planning and working, months of organising their forces and creating the perfect plan to bring HYDRA down once and for all. Or so they thought...

Bucky was the key to success, but there was one thing they hadn't considered: whatever HYDRA had put into his mind was still there, and with only a few words, HYDRA could turn him back into the murderous puppet they called 'The Winter Soldier.' And he had got so close... So close to taking this Miss Y/L out of there. But when someone read the trigger words from the megaphone, and as they echoed in the entire base, the team knew they had failed. They fought, but their efforts were fruitless, so they were forced to leave with injured friends and without Bucky.

"How on earth did we not think of that?" Tony asked in an exasperated manner when they were back at the compound, safe and sound, as he tried to make his broken left arm comfortable.

"This is not what we should worry about," Steve, who had miraculously made it out of there with barely a few scratches, said. "They now have Bucky, and they will probably amplify their security. We need to make a new plan."

"One that won't include me getting stabbed, I hope," Clint grumbled, placing a hand on his wounded abdomen.

At that moment, Wanda walked in, assisting Natasha, who had broken her leg, walk. "Barnes had told us that HYDRA's Greenlandic facility was the most secure one, and we underestimated the fact," she said as she and Natasha sat on the couch. "We must expect it to be tenfold worse the next time."

"So there will be a next time," Sam said, trying to turn his head towards her but failing to because of the cervical collar he had around his neck and the pain the attempt inflicted. "Good. I doubted it after our enormous failure."

"Remember when I had told you we would lose together too, Stark?" Steve asked, looking over at Tony, who laughed. "Here it comes."

"Next time, we'll tear them to shreds," Tony said.

"Damn sure we will."

"Language, Captain," Rhodey, who had been sitting beside Natasha, chimed in.

"You're never going to let that go, are you?"