C H A P T E R - F O R T Y - E I G H T

Recap:

"Why haven't they found him yet?" Torres asks. "It's been three months, why haven't they found him yet?"

"They're looking, baby, they're looking. He's meticulous, you know this. He's planning out a hundred steps ahead, he's trying his hardest to not be caught. But they'll find him, okay? You have hundreds, maybe even thousands of people looking for him."

______

That conversation was the exact reason that Alyssa Torres and Kelly Severide were sitting in the 21st district police station on the top floor - the Intelligence Unit floor.

Kelly Severide knew, all though she had said she did, that the woman didn't believe him about Julian Black being caught soon. He had wanted a professional to confirm what he had been saying, he wanted someone who was actively working the case to tell her everything he had already told her.

"We're no closer to catching Black than we were three months ago when we started looking for him," Hank Voight tells the couple. The rest of the Intelligence Unit were gathered around, staring at Alyssa and Kelly, ready to jump in with anything they knew about the case.

"We've been working this case day and night, reaching out to police departments all around the country for any sign of him," Antonio Dawson adds. "The FBI is doing the same thing."

"For the first month after it happened, they had constant monitoring on road cameras, ferries, anything and everything Black could've used to get out of the state. The borders - Mexico and Canada - both have a picture of his face and are on the active watch for him but nothing has been found yet," Erin Linsday continues.

"If everyone is looking so hard, why hasn't there been any news?" Alyssa asks, speaking up for the first time since they arrived at the precinct.

There was no answer from any of the detectives as they all glanced at each other.

"We don't have an answer for that right now," Voight finally speaks up.

"We think he's done this before though," Lindsays says, trying to at least give them some information on the matter. "There is a slight problem with that though.  We've found sketches of his face from previous cases but the names don't match. Three other women around the country have reported being raped by someone who fits Black's description but they have all said a different name."

Atwater pulls out three different case files, opening them one by one as he begins to read.

"Amy Candova of Los Angeles, California provided a sketch of Black's face but said his name was Adrian Marcos." He opened a new file. "Jordyn Bridger of Miami, Florida says his name was Brandon Fischer." A new file. "And Penelope Solis of Portland, Oregon says Jacob Matthews."

"Are any of those his real name?" Kelly asks, earning a head shake from Atwater. We've looked up Adrian Marcos, Brandon Fischer, and Jacob Matthews and none of them are Black."

"Are there more women out there?" Alyssa mutters. "More women he's raped that haven't stepped forward?"

"It's possible," Atwater nods. "Most rape victims never step forward. They're too scared or they don't want to bring it up again."

"The FBI is working on a profile for him but since there's not much to go on, they're at a loss."

"So there's nothing?" Torres asks. "You all have nothing?"

"Aly-"

"Three months of working on this case and you have nothing." She had risen from her chair, looking at everyone in the room. "You told me you were going to work this case day and night, you told me you were going to find who did this to me." She had turned her attention to Antonio Dawson who looked guiltier than ever.