Scarlett raised her eyebrows. "What the fuck?"

Kiara glanced up to Pope, who was pacing next to the table- before continuing. "It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00pm sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey." Her face scrunched up in confusion.

"Charleston?" JJ questioned.

"I know. It's like an eight hour drive plus the ferry." Pope stressed. "How will we get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ pointed out.

"I have a free period." Kiara spoke up.

"I'm meant to be in maths at the moment, but I could give less of a shit about that subject, so..." Scarlett muttered. "Let's go to Charleston."

"'Material evidence'? What does that even mean, 'material evidence'?" JJ mumbled.

"It means he can clear John B." Kiara told him.

"Definitely going then." Scarlett said. A smile formed on her face at the thought of her and her friends actually clearing John B's name.

JJ nodded. "Lottie's right. We're definitely going to Charleston."

"I gotta tell my mom." Kiara sighed.

"You telling your dad?" Pope asked Scarlett as he leaned forward to type something into the computer.

She shook her head. "No. They probably already see me as the problem child. I don't wanna add to that."

"Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe." Kiara said.

JJ nodded. "Yeah. No duh."

Scarlett watched as Pope looked back and forth between the letter and what he had typed in the search bar on the computer. "Pope, man, you good?"

"I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the Royal Merchant." He answered, his eyes scanning the screen.

"Oh, shit." Scarlett mumbled, staring at the computer.

⭐⭐⭐

Sat in Pope's dad's truck on JJ's lap- there wasn't enough room for all four of them to sit on the seats- Scarlett pulled out her phone. Sticking to the promise she made to her dad and Step-mom, she pulled up their message threads.

Lottie 🏄🏻‍♀️
Going out with Kie for a girl's night x

Dad
When will you be coming home? x

Isobel
Don't stay out too late
And be safe x

Lottie 🏄🏻‍♀️
Be back some time tomorrow x

She slid her phone into her pocket, looking up to see Kiara arguing with her parents at the top of the stairs. "They're taking it really well." JJ muttered sarcastically, running his fingers through his girlfriend's hair.

"Mm-hmm." Pope hummed in agreement. "How'd your parents react, Lottie?"

"Took it really well." Scarlett grinned. "Because I told them I was going out with Kie for a girl's night. They'd probably kill me if I told the truth. Don't want any more of that." She mumbled the last part.

"How'd you get this rig?" JJ asked, referring to the car. "I know your old man didn't let you have it."

Without taking his eyes off the argument ahead of them, Pope answered. "I undid the intake valves on the carburettor. Made it start pinging."