Chapter 11

For Sai, Monday turned out to be one of her best days at Nagpur Medical College. On her first school day, Sai had missed the special white coat ceremony, the rite of passage for any medical student.

That day, Virat Sir's mean, stuck-in-the-dark ages aunt, Bhawani Kaku, who had teamed up with her Chavan clan sycophants, had egregiously delayed Sai. The plot was to get Sai to grind masala, not in an electric ready-in-a-jiffy grinder, but by hand on a sillbatta, for a mahabhog, a peace offering meal comprising of countless dishes. Bhawani Kaku, who was against Sai's entire being, had designed this peace offering on Sai's first day of college to make her miss her first day.

Sai did manage to go to school that day. But, first, Virat Sir had to rescue her from the evil clan members. Sai, however, had already finished listening to the daily dose of taunts from Patralekha. Moreover, she had injured her hand due to the many red chilies she had to grind.

While Sai did manage to be in time for her first class, she had missed the significant white coat ceremony. This ceremony is usually attended by all first-year students' family members. Sai had not informed Virat Sir about it as he had already missed work because of her college admissions and had been duly reprimanded for it by his father.

Sai, did receive her white coat, and she did get to recite the Hippocratic oath, but in the privacy of the college Dean's office. Of course, there was no one to click a keepsake photo, but then again, there was no one to share it with. She did share it with her Abba, though. That evening, on returning to her room, she closed the door, as she wanted to do this only with her Abba, just like it would have been if he had not taken a bullet to save Virat Sir's life. So, she wore her coat, placed her Abba's picture on the dresser. "Abba, meet Dr. Sai Joshi—this time with a real doctor's coat."

This Monday, though, Sai was determined to not let anything get in the way of Dean's announcement. Not needing to do any household chores, Sai was usually well in time for her classes these days. But on Monday, she was not just in time but also well before time.

At 9am sharp, all second-year students gathered in the auditorium, wearing their white coats. The Dean took to the podium beseeched by thunderous applause. Most of the students did not know why they were there but were just too glad to miss their first lecture.

"Good morning everyone! I am very pleased to announce a very special program we are introducing this year. It's a fast track program for our crème de la crème students who have just moved into second year but by way of their progress and their course rigor are a year or two ahead. For these high-achieving students, we have started a mentorship program, where few of the best second year students will be assigned to the best final year residency students."

The Dean then called out the best second-year students; ten of them, and top on that list was Sai Joshi. Each of the students was awarded a stethoscope, something given to third-year students. They were then introduced to their mentors.

It was then Sai met Sameer Dixit again. Sai and Sai's friend Prachi were assigned to Dr. Sameer Dixit.

"Hello Prachi! And well well, Sai Joshi! Wow, this is what you get for not paying my dry cleaning bill."

"Oh it's you, Sir."

"Please, don't Sir me—just Sameer. When at work, it will be Dr. Sameer or Dr. Dixit. Deal?"

"Ok. I am so sorry about your shirt."

Prachi gave Sai a what's-going-on look. Ever since Virat had doubted Sai and their close friend Ajinkya's relation to being more than just friends, Prachi had started disliking Virat Chavan. She was pleased that Sai had left that madhouse. Before Prachi would get any ideas, Sai clarified Sameer and her association. "Nothing Prachi. I just happened to bump into him at the café and made him spill coffee on his shirt."

Prachi smiled that devious smile of hers. Sai chose to ignore it. "Actually Sameer, I did look for you at the café to pay you the next day."

"Oh don't worry, I am just joking. I did not need to dry clean the shirt; the machine did a wonderful job. The shirt is as good as new. Anyway, let's put our schedule together. And after that we raise a chai toast. Sounds like a plan?" The girls anxiously nodded.

The idea was to shadow Sameer at the Nagpur Government Hospital, where Sameer was completing his residency years. Sai and Prachi would have to spend at least 12 hours a week at the hospital and follow Sameer's schedule. If they missed any lectures because of the program, they would need to work with the professors for make-ups. Sameer created a chat group on the college's social platform and uploaded his schedule right away. Sai was impressed with Sameer's dedication and with the fact that he was so organized.

It would be brutal, even more so for Sai as she needed to continue the café job. Her scholarship money was not enough to fully cover room and boarding. But Sai was up for the challenge. Over tea, Sai remembered a conversation. "Sai Joshi is not a weakling Virat Sir! My Abba has taught me well to never give up no matter how difficult the circumstances." 'I shall conquer this!' she promised herself.

With that determination, later that evening, Sai discussed the situation with her boss at the café and requested flexible hours and timings. Within a short period, Sai had proven to be quite an asset for the café, both for bookkeeping and serving beverages. Her cheery persona was all that some patrons needed to forget their long, tedious days. So her boss agreed. He also increased her hourly rate and increased the hours on weekends, of course, on days her schedule permitted it. When she was finally back in her hideout, she wore her coat, put her stethoscope around her neck. " Abba, ab manzil door nahi. Missing you." She wiped a tear. She then removed her white coat and placed it on her bed, with the stethoscope beside it. She took a picture, then unblocked Virat Sir's number to send him a message along with the photo: "Virat Sir, this wouldn't have been possible without you. Thank you!!" She immediately blocked the number again.

When Sameer was introduced to Sai as his mentor, he couldn't believe his luck. Before him, was the woman who had kindled feelings he had never felt before. A deep affection for someone he barely knew, a sense of belongingness, a sense of wanting to be needed by this girl with a smile that took away all his worries. The first time he met her, it was her smile that struck him the most. He was dead tired; he had just wrapped up a fourteen-hour shift. He was in no mood to socialize, but he had to because it was his friend's birthday. He needed a coffee desperately. That was the reason why he did not wait for it to be served at the table. He had requested the barista to prepare his order in a hurry–just a black coffee with a double espresso shot.

And then he bumped into her. Her eyes had not gone along with her smile but smile she did. And that smile reached Sameer's heart. It invigorated him; he could go back and do another four hours at the hospital. He needed that smile to be his. But for some reason, he felt she was unavailable. And that is why he never went back to the café. But now, he was going to be working with her, guiding her. 'Is this what meant to be looks like' he thought as he sipped his tea. He was not going to rush things. He first needed to get to know her, and she needed to get to know him. But, more importantly, he wanted to know why, while her lips smiled, her eyes did not.