Happy Boxing Day

The hot pink phone rings the morning of the 26th, waking me. "Who the heck is that?" I mutter, jumping out of bed to answer the shrill phone. "Hello?"

"Hi, Beautiful," Danny's voice answers. "Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah...what time is it?" I glance at my clock. "Oh, damn. I should have been up an hour ago." I don't tell him the drama, the retreat into sleep being my refuge against my mother and father.

"I'm sorry. I can call you back?"
"No, no, it's fine. What's up?"

"Well, my dad and mom are going to this fancy party at the university for New Years, and they said I could have a party in the shop if I wanted to."
"Cool..." I wait for him to continue, rummaging through my dresser for underwear and a bra. When I do manage to find a matching pair, I feel like I have my life together, at least for the day. Sadly, today, there are no matching sets. I need to do laundry.

There is silence until Danny realizes I am waiting for him to continue. "Do you want to come?"

"Heck, yes. What do you want me to bring?"

"Just yourself. Will you invite Jamie, Jessie, and Rebecca? And your brother?"

"Sure. Jamie will want to bring Carl; is that ok?" Part of me hopes that Danny will say no, it is not okay.
Danny, however, is always kind and optimistic. "Yes, that's fine. Dad said he'd put some heaters out there all day and let the place warm up. They're going to get some snacks and put the TV out there so we can watch the ball drop. My sister put a sound system in there a few years ago, so we'll have some music too."

"That sounds great, Danny."

"I'll see you about 8 that night?"

"Can't wait!"