|| PART 19 ||

"Shrenu," Uma's voice echoed softly as she stepped into Shrenu's sanctuary. "Haan Maa," Shrenu responded, her gaze lifting from the glow of her mobile phone.

"What's new?" Uma inquired, her tone light as she settled beside Shrenu on the bed, the mattress dipping gently under her weight.

"Amria's online. We were just catching up," Shrenu shared, shifting her position to lie down, cradling her head in Uma's comforting lap. "Is there something on your mind?" Shrenu probed, her eyes still locked onto the screen.

Uma hesitated, her words tumbling out in a hesitant torrent. "What... How... What do you think of Aaryan?" she finally managed.

 "He's a good person, really good..." Shrenu's voice wavered, trailing into silence as she sat up, an eyebrow arching inquisitively.

Uma took a deep breath, her resolve firming. "Actually, Aaliya sent a marriage proposal. I wanted to consult you first," she confessed.

Shrenu's reply was immediate and unequivocal. "My answer is no, Maa," she stated flatly. "Why? He's a decent man," Uma pressed, seeking understanding.

"Of course, he is. But that doesn't mean I'm obliged to love him," Shrenu countered, her arms encircling Uma's shoulders in a gentle embrace. "Besides, his heart belongs to another."

Uma's eyes widened in surprise. "What? How do you know this?"

"I witnessed his confession. It was like a scene from a dream," Shrenu reminisced with a wistful smile.

Uma pondered, a frown creasing her brow. "Perhaps Aaliya is oblivious to his affections," she mused aloud. "Maa," Shrenu's voice pulled her from her thoughts. "Hmm?"

"Don't you find it strange? You sensed Bhai's affection for Prachi even before he voiced it. You thought to seek my opinion on this proposal before responding. You even unraveled my childhood crush. Yet, Aaliya seems blind to Aaryan's true feelings. It's as if she's..."

Shrenu's voice faltered, the right words eluding her.

"People are different, Shrenu," Uma offered sagely. "So, I should decline the proposal tomorrow, right?" she asked, her voice tinged with reluctance.

"Just don't mention the real reason. Say that my heart is already spoken for," Shrenu suggested, a hint of mischief in her eyes.

"Maa..." Pranav's voice interrupted, and both Uma and Shrenu turned toward the door.

"Ladies, it's time for dinner" he called out, his silhouette framed by the hallway light. Uma and Shrenu rose from the bed, their steps in unison as they moved toward him.

..............................................................................................................

"I must admit, Pranav, you are a truly remarkable cook," Abhi declared, his voice filled with genuine admiration as he savored the intricate flavors of the dish. 

"I never imagined you could manage the entire meal single-handedly," Mithali chimed in, her eyes wide with surprise. 

"How did you become so proficient in the culinary arts?" Dida inquired, her curiosity piqued.

Uma, with a knowing smile playing on her lips, glanced towards Pranav. "He's always been my little sous-chef, eager to learn the secrets of the kitchen since he was a child," she revealed, her eyes twinkling with pride.

"Prachi is indeed fortunate," Abhi mused aloud, a hint of playfulness in his tone.

A sudden cough from Ranbir reverberated through the hall, drawing all eyes to him. "What's the matter?" Pallavi asked, her voice laced with concern as she offered him a glass of water. After a hearty gulp that seemed to wash away his discomfort, Ranbir's gaze found Prachi, lingering just a moment too long. "I'm fine," he assured, setting the glass down with a soft clink.