𝟎𝟐𝟖. 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐝𝐦𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐥

028

028. RESPECT THE ADMIRAL

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

Hux was quiet. Too quiet in fact. He had been quiet ever since she went back for him and freed him from his containment cell. The hopelessness that she had seen cast on his face remained as he stared at the floor of the stolen shuttle. Normally she wouldn't mind the silence, but something was clearly wrong if the general had nothing to say about what had happened.

She took the first step in breaking the silence, "Did you run out of protocols to talk about?"

He didn't even acknowledge that she had spoken.

"General?" she turned to face him now concerned.

He had pulled his knees up into his chest and wrapped his arms around his legs. If things got much worse, she assumed that he would start rocking in a matter of minutes. She had dealt with too much stress today to add this to her platter. She set the controls on autopilot and approached the back of the vessel.

"Snap out of it, Hux!" she demanded.

He flinched, but nothing else about his demeanor changed. She frowned and crouched down to meet at eye level. He seemed to look straight through her. Now she was genuinely concerned. She'd never seen him look broken. Sure, at times she thought he was an idiot. But now that she essentially had his job, she understood how hard it was to make decisions for an entire organization. He was bound to break sooner or later from all of the pressure. Unfortunate that it occurred when it was just her around.

She softened her voice, "Armitage."

He blinked and seemed to snap out of his dazed stupor, "Dangir... where—"

"We're aboard a shuttle," she explained, "headed back to The Supremacy."

"How did you—You came back for me?"

"I said I wasn't going to leave you behind," she nodded before gruffly adding, "I've got enough to deal with, I don't need your job added to the palette."

"Yes," he stood and brushed the wrinkles out of his rebel garb, "of course."

"I didn't have time to grab your uniform," she noted, "I barely managed to make it out of there with you before the First Order demolished the place."

Hux nodded, "I'm sure arrangements can be made for replacements once we've returned."

"How do you think the Supreme Leader is going to react?"

Hux winced, "I—I'd rather not think of that right now."

"...clearance codes..." a muffled voice could be heard from the radio.

"I've got to give security those codes," she stated as she noticed that a worried look crossed his face when she got up to leave.

"Right," he nodded.