𝟎𝟎𝟗 - 𝐚𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐞

Comincia dall'inizio

His hand reaches for his heart. "That hurts me, Jade."

"You're easily hurt for someone who defeated a Dark Lord."

"He wasn't that special." He says and moves around her to lay next to her.

They both turn silent. She usually doesn't like moments like this, but it is not an uncomfortable silence for once. She feels at ease with it.

"I still don't like what you did." She says, refusing to look at him. Instead, she fixes her gaze on the panels of the ceiling.

"I got angry."

"It is no excuse."

He cocks his head sideways and she does too. "I just want you to be safe. Have you seen the state of your neck? It's blemished with bruises."

"I can take care of myself. I am not your quest of the year. You do not have to accomplish anything."

She knows this will make him think about it. It is what he has to do. As expected, when she glances at him, his expression has lost all cheerfulness. He pulls his eyebrows together, looks away from her. "Is that what you think you are? A quest?"

She pulls herself up on one elbow. "Aren't I? You're used to accomplishing tasks and tests all year long. Hell, it is all you've done since you are here. Am I wrong to think of this act, invading my mind, as some test you have put yourself up to?"

His mouth moves but no words come out.

She reaches out her hand, rests it on his shoulder. "I can take care of myself."

"You are no quest to me."

"Okay."

He turns his head to her. "Do you think I liked all those things? I never got the chance of growing up in a magical environment without –"

He clamps his mouth shut.

"Neither did I." She says, thinking of her parents.

"I don't regret doing it." He says and his eyes harden. "Seamus assaulted you."

"Okay."

"Okay?" He shoots up. "That is exactly why I should have done it! You--"

"No, it isn't." She interrupts him. "There is a plan." She thinks of Draco. If there was someone with a quest, it was him. It was her. It was Blaise, Pansy and Theo.

"Does that plan of yours include a death wish?" He snaps, the tone of rage becoming raw in his voice. "Don't think that I didn't see you think it— you were laying there—vulnerable—wishing for him to continue."

"I was high on his curse." It's the truth. But not fully. She swallows thickly.

"Then what is your plan?" He asks, also scooping himself up on one elbow.

"To enjoy my last year of school. To ignore him."

"You're a liar."

"That's what snakes are for." And she grins, even though it makes her feel uneasy.

"You don't have a plan." He says.

"I wish I hadn't."

He looks at her with a puzzled expression, like he isn't sure what to make of her.

"I'm not telling you."

"Okay."

They both lay down again and she tries to ignore the flutter that rummages through her chest as his hands swoop over hers.