Chapter of The Death

"What can surpass, or even parallel itself to the obsessive feeling of watching others pummel into doom?"

—— <The Fifth Duke>

The Galaxy Club was nothing like anything A has laid his eyes upon before. It seemed like the whole world had been dusted over in a fine layer of golden dust, shrouded in colourful mists. Everything was peculiar, and everything screamed wealth. Chandeliers glowed day and night, servers in crisp suits, like the one he had been provided, carried around mounted trays of champagne. Men in ties, ladies in fine gowns, the clink of gold and wine goblets, the smell of opportunities and danger, the excited crowd, as they cheered to an unknown battle of some sort, their voice drifting from all over, filling A's world, and made his previous life seem like an empty joke.

This place got your heart racing, and had your hand reaching for your wallet to join in the fun, wanting and desiring, for more and more. The air was pumped with the exotic thrill. B went off to the bar, and A's attention, however, was caught by the casino table, and the horrific bets that were proceeding there.

A watched, like his post suggests, a watcher, watching the show passively. Some boy had lost this round. He was ordinary looking, skinny and looked like he was going to burst, sharp bones poking his tautly stretched skin. Voice raspy, The Youngster accepted the bet of walking through a ring of fire, to win back all his money. There was already fire in his eyes, a fire of greed.

How did a minor get in here anyways?

A found himself intrigued despite himself, as the blazing ring was lit. Flames roared like the whispers of the Devil. The Winner and the crowd watched like goading gods, laughing through their expensive wine. A was among them, couldn't help but to be glued here, drawn by the excitement and the addictive feeling of watching others pummel into doom.

The Youngster approached the ring smiling, face lit orange by the fire, and then immediately started shrieking as the flames licked his body, engulfing him in their morbid embrace. A's breath was caught short, as the image threw itself in front of his eyes, in its full writhing glory.

Half burnt and half dying(like a bird caught on fire, A thought), the Youngster managed at last to crawl out, and demanded, barely alive, choking on his own blood, fire still clinging to his back and charred shirt, the money from The Winner. He had done it.

Yet uncomfortable silence. The chatter had died down almost immediately, every human muted. Breathing was barely audible.

The Winner's smile was still frozen on his lips, like a wax statue. He raised his hand. The crowd unmuted itself, hooting gleefully now, as they knew what came next .

"We all had a laugh, now party's over." The Winner repeated along with many others, quietly, the iconic motto of the Club. The irony!

Slowly, he drew out a pistol.

A could only watch.

.......................

A was stunned, and even more stunned as he realized no one else was even mildly shocked. Everyone just merely adjusted their masks of smiles, and continued on their conversation with their entourage. Some men dressed in black came and collected the Youngster, tossing his limp and burnt form like a piece of cardboard into a cart. Blood was all that remained, and the smell of burnt flesh lingered in the air, until heavy perfume scents washed over it.

But A felt like he could still smell it. He knew he would smell it for the rest of his life. Outside, the Scavengers were probably haggling, for the price of the body. But it's not gonna be worth much, it's too burnt.

A mumbled to himself, half in a trance, fazed fear gripping his still uncomprehending brain.

Someone holding a cigar commented loudly nearby, snapping him back to sudden reality: "Gee, Winner, I thought you might pity that little thing. 12 years of age, wasn't he?"

The Winner, with the pistol still smoking in his hand, gave a chuckle.

"But it was a good laugh, like a little bird, a phoenix through the fire wasn't him? Did you see him, his face? As if he really expected the money, quite an ignorant little lamb he was....that's why you shouldn't come here, unless you know the rules! But yes it was great fun....Pity, only 12, eh?"

They all laughed again, over clinking glass, and expensive cigar fumes. A felt cold. And disgusted. B was feeling at home here, he suddenly wasn't. A stumbled as he tore out of this place, knocking over chairs and trays and people and couldn't breathe until he was out the door and into the grey-washed streets. The Galaxy Club's door slammed shut behind him, somehow barring the monster inside from leaping out. But the real monster was inside him. Him and everyone else.

Some stared at the sudden intruder, then continued on their way. A felt like sobbing. He was filled with nauseating horror.

Everything in there, was solely for the purpose of entertaining the rich.

***