Live For Today (Sylvie x GN!Reader)

Summary: The reader mistakes Sylvie for an old friend. When they realise she isn't from around Saneks, they invite her for a drink and a chat in the hope of getting to know the gorgeous stranger.

Rating: Teen

Tags: flirting, suggestive themes, mild threat, mentions of death, hints of manipulation, Sylvie is probably very traumatised from spending her life on the run, no Loki (2021) spoilers

The sharp blade cut into your throat, not enough to break the skin but with more than enough pressure to make itself known. You threw your hands in the air, nowhere else to go as your back hit the crumbling stone wall, and drew as far back from the woman as you possibly could. All you'd done was touch her shoulder then, before you could even process the mistake, she slammed you against the market building.

"Please, I thought you were someone else. I'm so sorry, please don't kill me!"

Even though the market streets of Saneks buzzed around you, all you could hear was the thumping of your blood in your ears. Ice cold terror seeped into your bones, froze you in place, unable to even close your eyes. Partly due to fear, partly because you wanted to savour every last moment of your life on this world even if your view was currently limited to the storming blue eyes of a stranger. A gorgeous, terrifying stranger.

Slowly, she stepped back, a palm still firmly on your shoulder to keep you against the wall. You didn't try to push her away, only watched her sheath the blade – a long curved sword. Somehow, your breathing was as steady as it had been walking down the street but every muscle in your body cried out, painfully stiff and tense.

The woman's dark clothes helped her blend into the smoggy atmosphere of Saneks but the gold bands across her chest and around her wrists glittered beneath the suns. A coronet sat atop her head, light waves of hair flowing freely beneath it. Every inch of her body was covered in the strange armour, no doubt uncomfortably in the heat.

Still she didn't speak and the silence quickly grew uncomfortable, her fingers still curled around your shoulder, those shining blue eyes locked on yours. You introduced yourself, name wavering as you struggled to hold her intense gaze. This was a woman who had seen terrible things, had spent her life on the run. It was in the way she stiffened at every gust of wind, the sharp jolt of her head towards each tiny noise.

You supposed she must have grown up outside the safety of the Company. The realisation softened your view of her and made you want to ease her welcome into Saneks. It was a lot to take in for a visitor. No doubt she would need a guide. Repeating your name, you said gently, "No one will hurt you here. The Company rules forbid violence within the city walls. You don't need to be afraid here."

As if she were hearing you for the first time, she blinked then released her tight grip. Sensing the unspoken question that lingered in the air, she reluctantly supplied her name: "Sylvie."